Old Gold Ring in Button Box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Freya

Old Gold Ring in Button Box

Post by Freya »

Hi there, please bare with me, am a new-be to the forum and technically challenged (please be kind!!).
I would greatly appreciate any and all advice with regards to this little ring I found going through an old button box (I collect buttons:))

It is a gold coloured metal, and very crude appearing in construction with a visible join through the middle of the marks that are seen on the inside of the ring.
The ring itself is very plain and looks like a very simple 'wedding band'
The box that I found it in had been in a British barn for many, many years and discovered during the barns conversion, As well as this ring there were several solid silver buttons. They came to me in a terrible state mixed in with the rest of the contents of the tin which had rusted to each other and coated in grime and goodness knows what else, I almost threw this away thinking it was an old washer, until on closer inspection I found the little marks inside.
To my very untrained eye the marks look as if they are all contained within a share shape with the corners cut to form an 8 sided frame. Inside there appears to be what could be a capital 'C' and star shape a maltese type cross and possibly a capital W (or alternatively maybe a castle shape with a door???

I have been intrigued as to the origin of these marks for years and have spent for ever googling but am no further forward. Any assistance in either identifying them, or pointing me in the direction of any reference material that could be helpful would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Freya
Freya

Re: Old Gold Ring in Button Box

Post by Freya »

So, I downloaded a hallmarks ap and managed to find the exact same combination of the star and Maltese cross used by George Richmond collis and co, who had premises in Birmingham and London in the 1800's. The star and cross marks are absolutely identical to my wee rings. They did make gold wedding bands and if the 'C' at the beginning of the sequence is a date mark it also corresponds to the date 1851 which also makes sence. Although the last mark is very difficult to make out it could possibly be a crowned lion head. Now I know nothing about this stuff so this could all be complete rubbish, can anyone tell me if my detective work makes any sence at all, the thing i don't get is
1.why would the marks be in different position in the sequence (in my ap the star and cross are at the end of 4 marks) also why is there no makers mark (the ap also only shows 4 marks but they are a stylised sideways flower, a letter and then the star and cross combo)

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”