H A & C on a small clock

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
chelsea98

H A & C on a small clock

Post by chelsea98 »

Hi there,

I'm having difficulty identifying this maker and hope someone can help. It's a small clock with gold finish. Any assistance is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

http://imgur.com/a/QXoMf
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: H A & C on a small clock

Post by silvermakersmarks »

This appears to be the mark of H Aumont & Co; this mark registered 24 Nov 1908. I can't make out the full details of the hallmark in your picture to be sure if it is in the right time frame.

Phil
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Chelsea,

Welcome back to the Forum.

I've blown up your image:

H.A.& Co - 9ct - 1909 - London

As can now be seen, the hinge is 9ct. gold. Any other parts, if gold, should be similarly marked.

I agree with Phil, Henri Aumont & Co.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ont#p96920

You always have a far greater chance of getting a response if you embed your images.

Trev.
chelsea98

Post by chelsea98 »

hi Guys,

Many thanks for your help with this and yes, in future, I'll embed images, I'd forgotten how to do it!

I really appreciate your help with this, I'd had a good search but couldn't find the maker for it. The other parts are indeed hallmarked as well but it's a bit rubbed on the front of the clock. It really is a stunning piece, it's actually a pure blonde tortoiseshell piece, extremely rare!! I think it may have been part of a travelling vanity set, though it's possible it was a stand alone piece. The reason it's so rare is because, from what I've been taught, there is only about a thumb nails worth or pure blonde per tortoise. If that's true, then this piece is easily 15-20 tortoises.

I used to see Mr Barrett, the last of Barrett and sons. He used to regale me with stories, in particular about a pair of very large curved mirros made entirely from blonde tortoiseshell! He was always impeccably dressed and had some serious tales to tell! Another story was about a Maharaja who wanted an ivory walking stick. Alas, he was unusually tall, circa 6' 3, and it took them 5 years to find an elephant with tusks big enough to get a straight enough piece of ivory to fashion the stick! All card underwater as well!

I hadn't been here for a while but I'll have a nose around and see if I can be of assistance to someone...

Thanks again!

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”