Please help identify maker of this watch and related info!

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
shanmkhan

Please help identify maker of this watch and related info!

Post by shanmkhan »

Hello. Please help me identify the company that made this watch and other associated information like its model. Also I am not completely sure if I am posting in the correct forum so admins please move it to the suitable one.

Thank alot!
oel
co-admin

Re: Please help identify maker of this watch and related info!

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

The German crown to denote gold.The Crown for Germany, the National Gold Mark, normally a crown in a circle, is self-applied by the manufacturer or German importer of the watchcase, to designate gold items with a minimum of 585 fine, in use 1884 to Date.

Swiss made watch, and watch case made in Germany probably for export hence the marks; 585/1000 fineness= 14K= 56 zolotnik(Russia)
Swiss made,the wording was formally adopted in the late 19th century and is unique in that most other countries use the phrase "Made in (Country Name)". The most obvious place where the label is found is on Swiss watches. I believe your watch to be made in the late 1920s- early 30s.

Best,

Oel.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Interestingly, I have seen Swiss movements supplied in small aluminium boxes made for export. (The stock of a deceased jeweler who worked in Austria-Hungary before and shortly after WW I).He must have made watch cases.I am sure that many jewelers in Germany (the particular case seen here) and elsewhere were making watch cases. A bit more complicated than rings and bracelets, but possible. But their marks are seldom, if ever, are seen on watch cases.
shanmkhan

Post by shanmkhan »

Well thank you so much for your valuable information I couldn't have asked at a better forum.
Please to make myself clear, there isn't any possibility to exactly identify the name of watchmaker or the company that made it? and what does the terms AF SR denote? I was looking for the similar watches and the closest I found were made by the 'Gallet & Company' but they always have their marking on watches they make. Please investigate further if possible and once again thank you for your precious time.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

The FA and SR stand for Fast/Avance and Slow/Retard in English/French, to adjust your timepiece if it runs too fast or too slow.
Most of these watches without brand names and or maker's/retailer's name were produced for the low-end market.

Oel.
shanmkhan

Post by shanmkhan »

Much appreciated Oel.
oel wrote:The FA and SR stand for Fast/Avance and Slow/Retard in English/French, to adjust your timepiece if it runs too fast or too slow.
Most of these watches without brand names and or maker's/retailer's name were produced for the low-end market.

Oel.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”