Help identifying my grandmother's gold ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Hazza

Help identifying my grandmother's gold ring

Post by Hazza »

Hi there!
My grandmother passed away a few years ago and my mums sent me a picture of this ring and asked if I could help identify it.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

(I've never done this before, i'm just okay with google and thought I'd be able to find some information on it)

Well I'm stumped, i've looked through all the makers marks I can find, but can't dig up much.

I've taken a few pictures and put them into an album here: http://imgur.com/a/GhgcR

Here's what I've guessed at so far.

It's a child's keeper ring.

The crown and 18 stamp indicate it's before 1975 and is 18 carat gold

The anchor means it was assayed in Birmingham, apparently you can also tell it's gold because in Birmingham the letters stayed the same but they cut the corners of the background square on the date stamp.

The date letter is quite hard - I think the hallmark is a B - from 1876 - it's certainly closer to this than anything else I've found.

I'm reasoning that the maker mark is "H.S & CO" The closest mark i've found is for HS & CO and is the last image in the album - apparently that hallmark is from medals between 1939 and 1946

H.S & Co is what I've spent the last hour and a half looking for. Can't find much about them.
Found references to a company of the same name in a book of discontinued businesses that states a H.S & Co was founded prior to 1790 and discontinued business on the 31st of may 1949.

Anybody more experienced got a better guess? This is the first time I've done anything like this and although it's really good fun I'm sure I'm missing loads. I have an exam tomorrow and can't do anymore today otherwise I'd keep looking! She was always interested in History.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Cheers!

- Harry
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help identifying my grandmother's gold ring

Post by dognose »

Hi Harry,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your are far more likely to get a response if you embed your images as very few people will click on such links.

Trev.
Hazza

Post by Hazza »

Alright, can you please delete this and I will post another one, thank you. :)
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Its fine, just add the embedded images to this topic to increase the chances of getting a positive answer.

Trev.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”