Need help identifying marks on white gold ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
TrishB

Need help identifying marks on white gold ring

Post by TrishB »

This is a picture of the marks on my grandmother's white gold engagement ring. She was married in 1929 in Paris France, however, the ring could have beed purchased anywhere!

To me it looks like a makers mark of VL and a hallmark of a left facing animal head (dog/wolf, or perhaps even a bird) followed by the number 4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TrishB

Re: Need help identifying marks on white gold ring

Post by TrishB »

Here is another picture:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Is it "7A" for the "Seventh Artel" based in Riga, which would make it a Russian ring? ::: The "Artel" is a name for a group of silver-working artists :::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Technically it is Riga in Latvia, apologies to the Latvians in the audience ::: I have seen Latvian silver marks, but not gold hallmarks ::: Is that an upside-down "4" which would mean some sort of gold purity such as 14k which is often seen as 585 but maybe in this case it is an upside-down "4" :::

The experts should chime in soon, there are members here who have so much experience, they are better than the books in many cases :::
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Trish,

Welcome to the Forum.

I think the mark on the right is Hungarian, but my source notes that it was in use from 1937 until 1965. A similar mark, but with a different cartouche was in use in the Austro-Hungarian Republic up until 1922.

Can you capture a sharper image of the marks?

Trev.
TrishB

Post by TrishB »

Thanks for all the info so far. I really hope to determine more of this ring's history.

I hope this helps. Had I known I had the technology all along to take a better photo I would have done it the first time around - I took this with a novelty lens attachement that clips onto a cell phone!

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Trish,

Thanks for posting this great image. The mark is a good match with the one in my source which states that it indicates the standard as 585/1000 (14ct).

(Ungarn, 1937-1965; kleine Gegenstände aus Gold 585/1000)

Hopefully another member can expand on this. The identity of the maker may reveal much.

Trev.
TrishB

Post by TrishB »

That is very interesting. I am a little confused about the dates, however.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the ring is older than 1934 (because I have a photograph and movie of my grandmother wearing it shortly after giving birth to my uncle, born in 1934)

I know virtually nothing about hallmarks. Is it common to use similar images throughout the years?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Errors do occur in many sources, let's hope we get the views of others.

Trev.
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Hello!
Trev is right!
This hallmark used in Hungary between 1937-1966 for 14k gold. It's shows a wolf. You can check here the hungarian hallmarks, you have to see the 4. rope:
http://mkeh.gov.hu/nemesfemvizsgalat/ha ... rajzolatai
Unfortunatly I don't know the maker, we have no source for the hungarian makers of the XX. century.
Best regards!
Krisztán
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Sorry, Trish, it's my mistake, the 3. rope.
Best regards!
Krisztián
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A side-by-side comparison of the marks:

Trev.
TrishB

Post by TrishB »

Thank you Trev and Krisztián. I really appreciate your efforts and can clearly see that the Hallmark is indeed Hungarian.

I am still stumped by the dates, though.
TrishB

Post by TrishB »

I have several pictures of my grandmother wearing this ring, dating from 1929 through 1934.

I have considered that she may have had the stone remounted post 1937, but as fuzzy as the older pictures may be, it looks to me to be the same setting as the one in the picture above.

Could anyone point me in the right direction of dating the setting style?

1929:

1934:

cost

Post by cost »

Hi,
I have the very simillar ring to yours. The hallmark and VL marker are the same. Even the overall look of the ring is very simillar. Mine have 0,83 carat diamond in old cut. I own it after my grand, grandmother. I also wonder about its age and by whom it was manufactured. I wonder what does VL marker means? Have you found any information about it? I would appritiate any help.

TrishB wrote:This is a picture of the marks on my grandmother's white gold engagement ring. She was married in 1929 in Paris France, however, the ring could have beed purchased anywhere!

To me it looks like a makers mark of VL and a hallmark of a left facing animal head (dog/wolf, or perhaps even a bird) followed by the number 4.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”