French hallmark assistance - Owl

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
pandj

French hallmark assistance - Owl

Post by pandj »

I am interested in a necklace with two french hallmarks. I know the eagle head is french and so is the owl but the although the eagle is fairly clear on this piece, the second is hard to understand as it does not look like the owl that I see online as a hallmark. Can someone shed some light before I pay for something that is not legitimate? The owner seems reputable but is not available to help until a few days from now. Are there variations in the Owl mark? I can't seem to find any online. Also, it is being sold as a necklace /bracelet that converts...do these exist?

Thank you
pandj

Re: French hallmark assistance - Owl

Post by pandj »

hmmm.....so i think the second hallmark is actually an eagle also and not an owl. Why would a piece have two eagle heads stamped into it if I'm correct.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Multiple marks were applied to prevent tax evasion (have seen it on French and Austrian gold). I remember having seen the system explained in Tardy, but the book is not with me at the moment. As far as I recall, number of eagle marks is consistent with weight. In short, it was done to prevent the following: duty paid on e.g. 30 gram bracelet, assayed, and then returned to the workshop and used the assayed clasp for 60 gram bracelet, meaning tax evasion for 30 grams of gold.
In this particular case, both parts should bear marks.
Regards
pandj

Post by pandj »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
Multiple marks were applied to prevent tax evasion (have seen it on French and Austrian gold). I remember having seen the system explained in Tardy, but the book is not with me at the moment. As far as I recall, number of eagle marks is consistent with weight. In short, it was done to prevent the following: duty paid on e.g. 30 gram bracelet, assayed, and then returned to the workshop and used the assayed clasp for 60 gram bracelet, meaning tax evasion for 30 grams of gold.
In this particular case, both parts should bear marks.
Regards

Thank you for your explanation. That makes sense. Once I figured it to be another eagle head I felt better about the piece. Thanks again for taking time. The seller provided similar info about some pieces having several stamps yesterday but your tax info makes reason clearer.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”