St. Christopher Gold Medallion with unknown hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
perdidogringo

St. Christopher Gold Medallion with unknown hallmark

Post by perdidogringo »

Hi Everyone,

I'd appreciate any help from the forum on this. I inherited a very old (I believe from the 1850s) St. Christopher Patron Saint of Travelers gold medallion from a family member. It was passed down the family line to me. Apparently, this ancestor was a gold rush 49er in California during the early 1850s and family legend says that the medallion was given to him by his father before he left for the gold fields. Anyway, below you will see photos of the medallion as well of the close up of the hallmark. It has the 18k stamped on the back and then a hallmark symbol which looks like an arrow between a colon (see photo). Can anyone identify this hallmark?

I've researched online and can't find any reference so I am hoping someone can help me here. Thank you in advance!

georgiansilver
contributor

Re: St. Christopher Gold Medallion with unknown hallmark

Post by georgiansilver »

To be frank this is relatively modern. Many of these were produced in Italy in the 1960-70s and maybe later. St Christopher,( no longer accepted as a Saint, ). Best wishes, Mike.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
perdidogringo

Post by perdidogringo »

georgiansilver wrote:To be frank this is relatively modern. Many of these were produced in Italy in the 1960-70s and maybe later. St Christopher,( no longer accepted as a Saint, ). Best wishes, Mike.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
Thank-you for the feedback! I'd love to get confirmation through the makers mark, though. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
perdidogringo

Post by perdidogringo »

I think I have a breakthrough with this maker's mark!!!

It appears that Henry Blank & Co and Cresarrow had a very similar maker's mark- only it is a mirror image. Here's the mark: Image

Taken from this website:http://www.gregsteer.net/IWC/Cresarrow/ ... arrow.html

The original firm was formed as a jewelry manufacturer in 1890 as N.E. Whiteside & Co and was succeeded by Whiteside and Blank in 1903. The firm manufactured 14 carat brooches, scarf pins, sleeve buttons, studs, and bracelets, accented with enamel. Later they produced high quality jewelry in platinum. The United States Patent and Trademark Office registration (the image at left is from the filing) indicates that the C with the arrow through it was first used for brooches, cuff-buttons, pendants, necklaces and rings by the original firm beginning in 1890.

So based on this information, it says that the makers mark was first used in 1890- thus, I'm going to venture a guess that the pendant (I seem to have incorrectly referred to it as a medallion before) could be from late 1800s/early 1900s given that the manufacturer (Henry Blank & Co) were producing at this time.
Cortinos

Post by Cortinos »

perdidogringo wrote:I think I have a breakthrough with this maker's mark!!!

It appears that Henry Blank & Co and Cresarrow had a very similar maker's mark- only it is a mirror image. Here's the mark: Image

Taken from this website:http://www.gregsteer.net/IWC/Cresarrow/ ... arrow.html
Yes but the medallion above doesn't have the arrow feathers either so I don't think it's Henry Blank & Co.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”