Maker J.W.P&S ? Help please.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hilbury

Maker J.W.P&S ? Help please.

Post by hilbury »

Hello everyone

I've hunted around the web and I have the marks on my mother's ring worked out to mean 18 carat gold, Birmingham, and the letter 't' for the stamp year of 1918. At least I think that's right, I had no idea it might be that old, it looks like it was hardly worn.
I have a vague memory that mum picked it up second-hand when she was in England in the late 1980's, so I had expected it to have been made in the 70's or 80's, so please correct me if I've got it wrong. I have read about fake ring marks, if that's what I have here, it doesn't matter, it's a pretty little ring in any case.

My question to you all, is about the maker's initials.
I think it's J.W.P&S it hasn't come out all that clear in the photos, I have a few others but I didn't want to put too many here.
I searched for info on the initials, but couldn't find a thing, which made me all the more curious about where it came from.

I hope someone here might be able to shed some light on the maker for me please?

Thanks
Hil

silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Maker J.W.P&S ? Help please.

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Welcome to the forum.

You are correct in thinking that the hallmark dates from the Birmingham assay year 1918/19. They are beautifully clear marks and certainly suggest that the ring was not worn very much, although the sponsor's mark, which was not applied as deeply, shows that there was probably some usage. Unfortunately JWP&S is not a mark which has been identified so far, although the Birmingham Assay Office will have full records.

Phil
hilbury

Post by hilbury »

Hi Phil

Terrific, thanks for your reply.
I did have a look at the 'J' pages for each of the Assay Offices on the silvermakersmarks.co.uk website, just in case. (You never know, right?)

Yes, it's odd how the sponsor's mark looks quite worn. At some angles the 'P' has almost completely lost the bottom part, so it looks like a little 'o' floating between the 'W' and '&'.

So, I guess the next step is see what the Birmingham Assay Office can find.

I have some other bits n bobs that I'm researching, so I may have more questions at some point.
I appreciate your help

Thanks again
Hilary
Karenclark

Post by Karenclark »

I too have a ring with this same makers mark JWP&S made in 1931. My great grandfather was a jeweller in Birmingham who’s name was Joseph William Perkins who worked with his son. I believe this is his makers mark.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”