Gold Ring Discrepancy

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
CptDarling

Gold Ring Discrepancy

Post by CptDarling »

Hello,

I've recently been researching a few rings within the family and all was going well. Oddly, the one that's causing an issue is the most recent.

My signet ring was purchased and engraved in 1978 (my 21st). Recent info suggests it was a B H Britton & Sons ring, assayed in Birmingham in 1973.

The issue I have is that despite the clear 'Y' year mark 1973, I'm led to believe that the 1973 hallmarks would have two 'C's' on the anchor representing the bi-centennial year! I've also been told that 'Brittons' ceased trading in 73 thus making the possible year of 1974 (Y = 73/74) a tad doubtful: The photos are fairly clear and the B and S shown in two individual circles is not entirely in keeping with Britton and Sons makers mark..
Does anyone have any ideas

Cuznerfan
contributor

Re: Gold Ring Discrepancy

Post by Cuznerfan »

Hello CaptDarling
The special town mark of the anchor flanked by 2 'c's denoting the bi-centenery of the Birmingham Assay Office was only used on certain punches and were used at the request of the maker, the other punches just had the usual anchor symbol. Your ring is dated 1973-4.
As for the maker of your ring it was B. Stych and Co Ltd, Manufacturing jewellers, 7 Augusta Street, Birmingham and later of 12/13 Frederick Street, Birmingham. I hope this helps.
kind regards
Craig
CptDarling

Post by CptDarling »

Cuznerfan wrote:Hello CaptDarling
The special town mark of the anchor flanked by 2 'c's denoting the bi-centenery of the Birmingham Assay Office was only used on certain punches and were used at the request of the maker, the other punches just had the usual anchor symbol. Your ring is dated 1973-4.
As for the maker of your ring it was B. Stych and Co Ltd, Manufacturing jewellers, 7 Augusta Street, Birmingham and later of 12/13 Frederick Street, Birmingham. I hope this helps.
kind regards
Craig
Thanks Craig 'Cuznerfan', that's a great reply and explains a lot.

Another verification I'm looking for has a story to it. I have recently had my Mothers wedding ring enlarged slightly to fit myself. My Mothers original ring was cut off due to swelling when she was pregnant in 1962 with my late brother. The original ring was repaired by my wife some time ago. Mother, being very old fashioned, was concerned about being pregnant and not wearing a ring at the time, thus, my father went out and bought the one I am now wearing. According to some basic research and being told it seemed quite old, I was shocked to find out it was well over 100 years old and would have been vintage when my Dad bought it.

The info I believe to be correct is, a Henry Aston, Birmingham ring, 22c Gold c1849 (the capital 'A' date appears to fit in with the man himself rather than his family which would widen the date range)? It would be wonderful if someone could confirm or dismiss this.

Fingers Crossed, Ta
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi CptDarling,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please remember in future posts that only one item per topic is permitted.

See: Posting Requirements

Trev.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

I think that this is actually 1925 and that the HA mark is that of H Aston Ltd, presumably successors to Henry Aston, whose mark was not registered until 1862.

Phil
CptDarling

Post by CptDarling »

My apologies for the double post/subject, I read up on the photo rules but didn't realise you couldn't continue a thread...

For the record, 1925 did come up in my research, but I was informed the H (centre dot) A finished in 1916 when the 'nephew' who had taken the H. Aston name on passed away...There seems to be some interest in the Aston of Birmingham name as he/they were very popular gold band makers in their day..My research will continue.

Apologies again, Steve
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Steve,

An advertisement from 1932 that shows the mark was very much still in use:

H. Aston Ltd. - Birmingham - 1932

Trev.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”