Gold Ring. London Newcastle Sheffield?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Gold Ring. London Newcastle Sheffield?

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, I just had possession, for a very short while, of a family ring on its way to the next generation. Evidence for dating this ring was not strong with me and I made some quick photos in the hope of help from the forum. I am sorry the photographic quality is not as good as I like to upload. Photos are below.

Please is there first anything stylistically that can give a date? Second the marks with my lens show an obvious 18ct. There is a square rubbed cartouche that could be the London Guild mark and my assumption is that the maker’s mark is “LAT”.
I believed the ring to be late Victorian. But looking at “silvermakermarks” site the closest option I found was “IAT” a Georgian (1830’s) watchcase maker, Joseph Abram Tyas”. With family “geography” Newcastle or Sheffield (England) would seem to be the most likely centres to have produced the ring. Any help please?
Yours
Fishless
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Gold Ring. London Newcastle Sheffield?

Post by dognose »

Hi Fishless,

I do not think there are any hallmarks or maker's marks present in the images of the ring. What you have is '18ct PLAT' which was an often seen form of marking for 18ct gold with platinum mounts for the diamonds.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Trev`s comment makes sense because diamonds are set either in white gold or platinum to enhance their white colour and sparkle.
Prongs made of yellow gold are usually avoided because they add unwanted yellowish tint to diamonds.
Regard
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Thank you Dognose and Ag2012 for you quick if disappointing replys. I did see the possibility of “PLAT” but knew that it was not a plated ring. Platinum never entered my head. Most of the rings I have examined previously, though that is not many, had obvious makers marks on.
Fishless

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”