Need help identifying hallmark...

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
joyluck

Need help identifying hallmark...

Post by joyluck »

I was told that the marks on this piece identified it as Russian. I have had no luck trying to find info on this site or at the library, etc. Any info would be a plus! Thanks.

Neruda

Post by Neruda »

As no one else seems at all certain of these marks, might I suggest two possibilities - Hannau or Holand? Both places used unusual "pseudo-hallmarks" in the 19th century.

The fourth mark appears to be a dolphin - I have heard that Holland once used a dolphin for small objects either imported or exported - I'm afraid I can't confirm this, but it might be one lead to follow?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I agree that it is likely to be a Hanau item. The Netherlands is still a possibility, but although the Dutch also used these antique fantasy pseudomarks, in my experience, they had a tendency to include one or more officially sanctioned marks somewhere on the piece. They did use a dolphin mark similar to this one, but not quite this one.
See -> Netherlands Hallmarks
There is a good, 2 part, article on Hanau silver by Dorothea Burstyn located on the website of ASCAS
Regards, Tom
joyluck

Help identifying hallmarks

Post by joyluck »

Thanks Neruda, for both leads and identifying the dolphin! I will follow up on your suggestions!
Joyluck
joyluck

Need help indentifying hallmarks

Post by joyluck »

Hello, Tom,
I did read (most of) the artivle that you cited, and I agree that the Dolphin doesn't appear to be an exact match. I am so new to this that almost any info is new for me. Thanks!
Joy;uck

Return to “German Silver”