German marking on tray?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lhurt

German marking on tray?

Post by lhurt »

I am reposting this question with 2 pictures this time. Its the only thing I can figure out I did wrong with the last one. If not, please, could someone be specific with what I'm doing wrong?

Now, I am having trouble figuring out what the last marking is on this tray. I have found the first 2 mean its German? It looks like there is a GB in the shield.

Thanks so much in advance for the help!

Lisa
io

Post by io »

Hi Lisa,
Nice looking tray and it looks like it is heavy gauge silver. It is German and twentieth century. Haven't been able to trace the mark, but I'm reading the mark as GK, are you sure it is GB?
IO
lhurt

Post by lhurt »

It very well could be GK. It is just so hard to tell. Yes, it is heavy. It was my father-in-law's (along with lots more). He had a piece of paper taped to it with 251 grams written on it, as well as some other stuff. The tray is 8" X 7 1/4".

Thanks so much for your input. It is greatly appreciated!!

Lisa
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

Hallo lhurt,
the tray is german. Half-moon stands for silver and the crown for the German Empire. 830 for 830/1000 silver. I suppose in the escutcheon that are the letters AM (for Arthur Möhrle) with a horizontal line beneath and below a stylized clover leaf.
If that is wright, the maker is Arthur Möhrle in Schwäbisch Gemünd (Germany), founded 1895 and still existing. For the Hallmark look at eBay-No. 653638111 and the web-adress http://www.moehrle-silber.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards silverfan

Return to “German Silver”