Help identify please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tone

Help identify please

Post by Tone »

Hello.
This is my first ever post. Could someone please help identify this piece of silver and also identify the Hallmarks. It is pierced, 2.25 inches high. The decoration extends all the way round to include other figures. It is bottomless. All hallmarks are on the bottom rim. What brought me to the Dutch section was that I have searched for similar marks, and thought I perhaps found the same or similar top mark ( crown above 77 ) The only history I can give is that it has a set of marks on the opposite side which are London marks and with an import mark. Date letter is 1893. Hope I have given enough info and good enough pictures.

Many thanks in advance.

oel
co-admin

Re: Help identify please

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum,

Not Dutch, perhaps German or Belgian but most probably pseudo marks in the Hanau style see:
http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html
At the moment I have no access to my library, after the 4th of February could do some more checking.

Oel.
Tone

Post by Tone »

Thanks for the reply Oel, and for the welcome. I would very much value your offer of checking further when you can get access to your library.

Tone
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Tone,

In the meantime could you please show is the British importers 'mark and date letter or tell us the name of the British importer. Thanks.

Oel.
Tone

Post by Tone »

Hi Oel.
Here is a photo of the other hallmark showing the London importer. His hallmark is shown in the link for the Hanau importers.

Thanks

Tone
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Tone,

Welcome to the Forum.

It's German, by Georg Roth of Hanau. This topic identifies the 'Crowned G' mark: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6184

The sponsors, Barr Moering & Co. (William Moering and Adolph Philip Krieger) were known importers of German products.

The significance of the 'Crowned 77' mark is unknown to me.

Trev.
Tone

Post by Tone »

Hi and thank you for your comment. I viewed the link and I am completely in the hands of the experts such as yourself who have studied silver. It is nice to place a story with a piece of silver. Thank you also for moving my other piece of silver into the correct place. Hopefully I will learn with future postings.

Tone.
Dirk1966

Post by Dirk1966 »

I know this is a very old topic but was looking for any info on the crowned 77 as I have a small bottle with the crowned G and crowned 77.
It is Belgium. Crowned G is for Ghent and the crowned 77 is for the year 1777
Admin edit, see our forum rules
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10#p12
Last edited by oel on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Dirk,

These are pseudo marks, on a typical Hanau style silver object made turn of 19th century. See:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36669&p=98919&hilit=Gent#p98919

Could you please start a new topic for your small bottle .

Peter.

Return to “German Silver”