Please help identify these marks.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
chamberlin

Please help identify these marks.

Post by chamberlin »

Please see the pics of this antique bowl in a silver holder from my wife's Swiss grandmother - though maybe it dates back to the 1800's. Is anyone able to identify these marks for me? I think they are German, but not really sure. Any information, even regarding the blue bowl would be much appreciated: date, maker, place it was made........

chamberlin

Re: Please help identify these marks - "GF"

Post by chamberlin »

I found a crowned fleur-de-lys on the page showing marks from Hanau. But I can't find any hallmark of the letters "GF" in a Star of David, nor the crowned lion passant. Any help is appreciated.
chamberlin

Re: Please help identify these marks.

Post by chamberlin »

I haven't had anyone respond to this post. Can someone help me?
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

I don't think anyone knows. If you read the section on this site about Hanau silversmiths you will get a good idea of why it's hard to pin down Hanau makers by their pseudo marks. Many times things are merely attributed to a maker as there was no official registry of marks. I recommend you look online for other "Hanau silver salts" or "Hanau cobalt blue glass liner" items and see if you can find the same ones and check the marks on those. Often they will be different marks but maybe one of those different marks will more identifiable and can help you trace the piece's origins. I know I have seen this pieces or similar piece before online
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

chamberlin wrote:

I have seen this marks on a coffee pot once before and on two other items

chamberlin

Post by chamberlin »

Thanks for the comments. The blue cobalt glass liner is rather large - diameter is about 20 cm. and the height is about 6 - 7 cm. - , so I don't think for salt, as I have seen in many other similar pics.
Theoderich, the pics are very interesting. Any idea who the maker is? Are those letters "GF" (FG) ? I have been searching online for some time but I cannot find that combination.
Maybe the design helps in identifying the maker?
Would it date to about 1890 ?
Any additional comments from anyone are very appreciated.

Return to “German Silver”