Please Help Identify This Server

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mtgordon

Please Help Identify This Server

Post by mtgordon »

Hello! I would like help in identifying this piece. I found the crescent in the inverted triangle, in your hallmark encyclopedia, but I did not find "M.WEIS" anywhere. Additionally, would this be sterling? Is this a cake Server? I have never seen anything like it. It came with eight spoons. The spoons are marked the same. All pieces are engraved "S.S.", but I assumed those to be a personalization. Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

x
x
Theoderich
contributor

Re: Please Help Identify This Server

Post by Theoderich »

Juergen Anton Metavius Weiss from Kiel
oo 12.4.1833
+ 17.12.1871

ref. Bernt Zeitzschel, Die Goldschmiede im östlichen Schleswig Holstein ... S.174f
Ki 160 +161

I am not sure about the finess - but it would bei between 685-750.
mtgordon

Post by mtgordon »

Thank you! Do you know if it is a cake / pastry server?
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Yes, this should be cake, pie or pastry server.
Regards
mtgordon

Post by mtgordon »

Thank You!

Marie
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

by the way Kiel was part of the danish kingdom until 1864 - so is it German or Danish? :-)
:-)
R ingo
contributor

Post by R ingo »

Hello Hose_dk,

I think the situation is a little more complicated.

Holstein was until 1806 part of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation. Since 1773 the Danish King became Duke of Holstein. So he was in this function a vassal of the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
After the Napoleonic era since the Congress of Vienna in 1815 Holstein became member of the German Confederation.
(Three member states were ruled by foreign monarchs: the King of Denmark as Duke of Holstein; the King of the Netherlands as Grand Duke of Luxembourg and Duke of Limburg; and the King of Great Britain as King of Hanover were members of the German Confederation.)

So after 1815 the Duchy of Holstein was still in personal union with Denmark but the Danish King as a Duke of Holstein was a confederation prince in the German Confederation.

Best regards, Ringo

Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

:) in Denmark we know the question and context.
In 1848 - 1851we where in conflict, civil war between Denmark and Holstein and its German allied. Preussen got other problems and Denmark was Victorius. In 1864 it started all over again with Austria and Preussen as aggressors. Or Denmark as aggressor - depending upon point of view.
At the end of the day we normally write Denmark or Northern Germany for items.

Return to “German Silver”