Assuming this is silver plate?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
laura9797

Assuming this is silver plate?

Post by laura9797 »

I have not yet tested it but I am a bit confused at the mark? Couldn't tell if this was a Turkish eagle or even a bad thistle? The figural double sided salt (?) is really sweet. I keep thinking it must be Thai or something because the mark is not that good however it could be older which is why the mark is difficult for me to discern.
Thank you for any assistance!

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: Assuming this is silver plate?

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Laura,

I'm unable to see your photos and the Photobucket message indicates it will not host for third parties unless you pay for an upgrade.

Cheers,
Steve
laura9797

Post by laura9797 »

Thank you Steve!!!!

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Laura,

I have some good news for you. The mark on the left is easily identifiable as one of the numerous marks used by the Hanau silversmith company of B. Neresheimer & Son. This also means your double salt (yes, I agree) is solid silver. It will most likely be made from 800 fineness.

To find out more please see:

http://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_hanau_marks_01.html

Cheers,
Steve
laura9797

Post by laura9797 »

Thank so much Steve. When I was researching the marks, I first went to the World Marks page and checked Austrian and German marks. It never occurred to me to look for Hanau but now this mystery is beginning to make sense. I had another Hanau piece that was also charming but with a boat. Sold it long ago and should have held on to it.

Return to “German Silver”