Hanau + sterling marks?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverK
contributor

Hanau + sterling marks?

Post by SilverK »

A friend of mine has asked me whether I could identify where the attached piece was made since, though bought in America and stamped Sterling, doesn't appear to be American in style. The marks looked Hanau to me, so it didn't take long on this excellent site to find them under the Hanau section. Unfortunately the maker appears to be unknown, though there's a note: 'pellet top A is almost identical to Schleissner [s476]'.

I hadn't seen such a combination before, so a further search on the forum found this conversation which discusses possible Hanau and Sterling marks combined on a pot:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... au#p133599

However, AG2012 thought there was a strong possibility that the pot was made in America, so this takes us full circle.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my friend's piece?

Happy Christmas to you all,

Silverk.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Hanau + sterling marks?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I think it`s Storck & Sinsheimer.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Compare with this set of marks.

SilverK
contributor

Post by SilverK »

Hi AG2012,

Of course it is - a miss on my part. Can you explain why it has the sterling stamp? When imported into America, do they assay it and stamp the sterling mark?

Regards,

Silverk.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Hanau silver imported to UK by e.g. Berthold Mueller had either lion passant or .925, meaning it was sterling fineness.Or was it ? So, possibly when imported to US the importer or the manufacturer added ``sterling``. One can only speculate who marked it.On the other hand,most of Hanau silver is .800.It would be interesting to test the fineness because there are electronic non - aggressive testers available.
Regards
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Are we again on the trail of re-casts leaving a poor copy of original marks (notice the sterling stamp on the Dutch set..not sure what was on the Austro-Hungarian sample): http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49200

Return to “German Silver”