Sal cellar from Austro-Hungaria

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Qrt.S
contributor

Sal cellar from Austro-Hungaria

Post by Qrt.S »

This salt cellar is driving me crazy. The TF-taxmark on pic. 3 shows it clearly that it is made in Austria 1810-1824. The problem is that in what town and by whom? It has been claimed that the town mark with crossed swords would be Késmárk's coat of arms, but I cannot find a matching crest for Késmárk not either a suitable maker. In addition, it is as well claimed that the letter in the RAO mark would be R, but there is no "R" listed in connection with the "Taxstempel der Punzirungsinstitution" at that time. The letter R comes much later and in connection with other marks. To my belief the letter is B for Prague but the coat of arms is not Prague's crest. The only "factum est" is Austria 1810-1824 but where from and who?
Gimme a hand, will you?

I have no idea of what the "C" in pic. 2 means and unfortunately the maker's mark is a "smudge"

I eager to hear your opinions.
Thank you in advance
huszas76
contributor

Re: Sal cellar from Austro-Hungaria

Post by huszas76 »

Dear Qrt.S!
I think, it's not an austro-hungarian item. Your Salt cellar made in Dresden, Maybe Theo will find your maker.
The tax mark is austro-hungarian, a little bit later, shows that the owner paid the tax, but not, where the item made.
Best regards!
Krisztián
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

CGK is probably Carl G(ott)lob Kunze
C=1807
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Wunderbar Theo, vielen dank.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Forgot to thank you too Krisztián, thanks!
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

I don’t think the attribution to Carl Gottlob Kunze is correct. My research shows that he was born ca. 1792 (baptized 9 Dec 1792, son of Johann Gottlob Kunze) and would therefore have been barely 15 in 1807. He doesn’t show up in Dresden directories until 1829, and did not marry until 1831. I haven’t yet found a death date for him, though he remains in Dresden directories until 1855.

Rather, I think Carl Gottfried Künzel is the likelier candidate. He was born ca. 1764, first appears in Dresden directories in 1797, married in 1799 and was buried on 22 Jun 1809. He had several children, two of whom –Carl Robert Künzel (ca. 1802-1842) and Carl Julius Künzel (1804-1858) – were also goldsmiths.
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

Dear blakstone, You are right.

The mark of Carl Glob Kunze is this.

In last time I was looking into the church books of Annenkirche in Dresden.
I have a list of makers of Dresden from 18th and 17th century .

If You have any questions You can send me a mail.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Thank you gentlemen, it was an interesting discussion. No wonder I was puzzled with this saltcellar. It was outside my area of interest that is in particular imperial Russian silver.

Have a nice Sunday
Qrt.S

Return to “German Silver”