Fruit Set (.830?) w/ "Uchatius Bronce" blade

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

Fruit Set (.830?) w/ "Uchatius Bronce" blade

Post by Traintime »

The mark on the knife blade seems to be found on items with handles of other materials, often listed as German circa 1920's. All three items have poorly stamped (on the neck) triple-place marks that may just be numerical standards for fineness rather than actual maker marks. On the fork shown, a "30" stamp appears to be next to a failed character mark which could be an "8" for "830". [Damage to the knife neck shows the metal to be approximately the thickness of a heavy foil re-inforced by a filler material such as pitch.] Which country was the most likely candidate for the source of these sets?

Bahner
contributor

Re: Fruit Set (.830?) w/ "Uchatius Bronce" blade

Post by Bahner »

Hello, looks like a typical fruitknife made from thin silver foil, the handle being filled with some hard substance to give it strengh. I bet this is German, most likely from Berlin. There were just a handful of makers of flatware like this in Germany. Jandorf from Frankfurt, the others from Berlin. Franz Mosgau, Clara Well and Bros. Petersfeldt come to mind. One of those made this I guess. The mark is most likely 800. Uchatius was an Austrian officer who developed a high quality bronze for cannons. It was also used for knife blades, mostly by Solingen makers. Believe I just saw them on fruit knifes. They also made fruitknifes in one piece, cast from Uchatius Bronze and often in nice German art nouveau, a Solingen specialty dating from ca. 1902 onwards. I would date your pieces 1910-1920. Regards. Bahner
Traintime
contributor

Re: Fruit Set (.830?) w/ "Uchatius Bronce" blade

Post by Traintime »

Many thanks to our "go to" guy in Deutschland. For things German, if anyone says "google it", just repeat this...."Bahner is Better!". A very thorough coverage of a specialized item and the firms engaged.

Return to “German Silver”