Salt cellar with five hallmark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Phill3

Salt cellar with five hallmark

Post by Phill3 »

German hallmark, crossed hammers Yugoslavia? Scotland? Some help?

AG2012
contributor

Re: Salt cellar with five hallmark

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Yes, German crescent and crown and Austria-Hungary import mark 1901- 1921 on top of it.
As for the maker, let`s wait for more responses.
Regards
Phill3

Post by Phill3 »

Thanks,here is another piture i found thats crossed hammer is hallmark for Yugoslavian silver,but for big objects.standing lion?Scotland?

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Yes, very unusual to have Kingdom of Yugoslavia .800 mark, used 1919 - 1933 for domestic production, not an import mark.
If you inspect closer crossed hammers mark you will see Roman II for .800 standard and number 7 for regional assay office unknown to me.
On the other hand, people took their silver to assay offices to have them tested and marked with domestic marks, not necessarily with import marks,because there was actually no commercial import.
The lion has nothing to do with Scotland.Possibly Gebr. DEYHLE Schwäbisch Gmünd.
Most likely it was made in Germany, imported to Austria-Hungary after 1901 and then marked again in newly formed assay office after the Great War, somewhere in a region that belonged to former Austria - Hungary and incorporated into Yugoslavia.
Regards
Phill3

Post by Phill3 »

Thank you very much for the explanation, the hallmark lion confused me, it's very similiar to the Scottish hallmark,also Austrian import.now its clear to me.best regards!

Return to “German Silver”