Apostle spoons Austro Hungarian import mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
silverpac

Apostle spoons Austro Hungarian import mark

Post by silverpac »

So I have this very nice set of Apostle spoons which have confused me for some time. They have the obvious import mark 1891-1901 with a b for Linz and you can tell it was added at a later date as it is stamped rather heavily into the bowl. There is also a large "N" which is part of the casting and this is what I am not sure of. The boxes for the spoons are stamped with the Coat of Arms for Archbishop of Salzburg who took that role in 1772. I wonder if the boxes were made to confuse to add value to the spoons and the Coat of Arms is to deceive or does the "N" give them a maker or date which would coincide with when the Archbishop was in office, which would make them very important. I am not so naive to think that someone wouldn't try to deceive. Any help would be appreciated, of course.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Apostle spoons Austro Hungarian import mark

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Unless proven otherwise, I opt for Hanau.
Regards
silverpac

Post by silverpac »

So you are thinking Neresheimer possibly ? that would make sense. Thanks AG2012
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Supralibros showing the coat of arms of Count Hieronymus von Colloredo, archbishop of Salzburg (1772) on an education book.

silverpac

Post by silverpac »

Nice picture, thanks for that information. I did find some documents with his crest butt the leather book is exactly like the leather covering on the boxes. Again, thanks.

Return to “German Silver”