Unknown Hallmarks WWII Cig Case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Tabitha

Unknown Hallmarks WWII Cig Case

Post by Tabitha »

Hello
I acquired a few military items, and one is a silver cigarette case either WWI or WWII with mysterious hallmarks. I spent all afternoon on numerous sites trying to find something similar. It is engraved on the front LT. C.H. Gunn 356th INFT. which was an American unit in WWI but fell under th 86th in WWII.
It is hallmarked on the inside edge. And I assume I photo'd the correct way up, with the 900 designation at the end.
Any help or direction is appreciated.

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unknown Hallmarks WWII Cig Case

Post by dognose »

Hi Tabitha,

Welcome to the Forum.

It's German. See: Louis Kuppenheim at: https://www.925-1000.com/Fgerman_marks_a1884_5.html

and: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=39666&p=127165&hil ... im#p127165

Trev.
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

Thank you!
It is Louis Kuppenheim Germany!! Dates between 1912 to 1924 so fits in with WWI and I also found a mention of the Lieutenant in a local article on WWI out of Kansas. Charles H Gunn who was in charge of 356th in Germany.
So I assume he acquired it while in Germany and had it engraved :)
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

This shows it with the cross hatching. 1912 to 1924 Photo D-1
http://www.louis-kuppenheim.de/Geschich ... 3274IAYFeU
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Unfortunately tinypi, which was a most reliable photo hosting site, has ceased operations and many, many images which have been posted on these forums have been lost forever. You will note that the original poster (OP) has only posted 3 times, all of them to this thread so it is highly unlikely that your request will be acted upon. Quoting the original post is both pointless and annoying. If you have a follow-up query on this subject it might be useful to start a new thread.

Phil
nilchen

Post by nilchen »

silvermakersmarks wrote:Unfortunately tinypi, which was a most reliable photo hosting site, has ceased operations and many, many images which have been posted on these forums have been lost forever. You will note that the original poster (OP) has only posted 3 times, all of them to this thread so it is highly unlikely that your request will be acted upon. Quoting the original post is both pointless and annoying. If you have a follow-up query on this subject it might be useful to start a new thread.

Phil
Hi. Thanks for the quihk response. I didn't know that. That's really a pitty. Maybe he should post in a fb group lol next time.... mike

Return to “German Silver”