Gorham sterling flatware letter marks

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
stever

Gorham sterling flatware letter marks

Post by stever »

I have a set of Gorham silver with a letter mark that I can find nothing about. I know that there were letter marks inside a diamond denoting the weight of the silver. There were four marks that I have found. My silver has a mark that I can't find. It is a P inside the normal diamond shaped mark. Can anyone help me?
Thanks
dianecharlette

Post by dianecharlette »

Information I have from a list of marks from a book on Gorham is that P was the year 1883 and Q was 1884 (the last year Gorham used letters to identify the year); then they used symbols. Don't know if the P was in a diamond or not.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
True, but the letter date marks, applied to holloware, they were not used on flatware. On flatware, according to Carpenter, the letters T, E, H, & M within diamond shapes can be found on flatware as weight indicators, unfortunately no mention of your "P".

Regards, Tom

ps. the chart of Gorham date marks can be seen on our site at Gorham Marks & Date Codes
annistam

Post by annistam »

Thank you (^_^)
kozy845

Post by kozy845 »

On a previous thread concerning the letter "p" in a diamond, someone contributed the fact that the "p" stands for "place". Meaning, that this piece was place size, larger than luncheon size but smaller than dinner size.
Traintime
contributor

Re: Gorham sterling flatware letter marks

Post by Traintime »

Can't speak for the other weight letters, but on a teaspoon with "last quarter 19th century" Gorham maker marks, the letter T appears in the diamond.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Thanks Trev. Must have missed getting the thread when I searched for Gorham Codes rather than Code. Guess it's all linked now!

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”