ottograff

Please Help! Maker?

Post by ottograff »

WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: Please Help! Maker?

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good day Sir,

Have been very intrigued by your mark, recently had a similar experience with a similar mark that appeared very English. Have been attempting to used American Silversmiths to resolve your question without success using what appears to be the letter O as a starting point. Let me give you the link. Please do post your own conclusions here if your able to identify the mark, would be very interested to know.

Warren

American Silversmiths

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... versmiths/

Have just noticed that my keyboard does not have the correct mark for this link before the word silversmiths. If this does not work please google American Silversmiths.

W
SisterEg

Post by SisterEg »

Newly registered but have been perusing the site for the last couple weeks to get information about some silver that belonged to my husband's great grandfather's family . This seemed the most appropriate place to post though I have more than a single image. Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place.
I have seen this mark, but my pieces are a bit more worn. I do have some additional information and a couple more images that may help someone place this.

This is one of the forks in the set:
It's about 7.75 inches in some variation of a Tipped/Tipt pattern.

And here is the marking on the reverse:

There was a reference to Prince & Barnum in an earlier Post:
Subject: Identification needed, "? and Barnum" and Hallmark
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... les#p11595
The image was determined to be an Albert Coles pattern but the image is no longer available.

But this response to that post sort of brought it together because great-grandfather-in-law was living in Galveston around that time:
silverly wrote:Prince & Barnum advertised in the Galveston Daily News between from 1866 to 1868 as Jewelers and Watchmakers at 170 Tremont Street.
Many thanks!
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good evening Sister Eg,

Just rechecking the mark for Albert Cole. Eagle over A over C in lozenge over right facing male profile. This is not the same mark. As preciously stated in an earlier post Prince & Barnum were listed as silversmiths and jewelers. In this case their mark would most likely be considered a retailers mark.

Let's see if anyone more qualified can further assist.

Warren
SisterEg

Post by SisterEg »

You're absolutely right! I could've been a little more precise, couldn't I? I was using the "Prince & Barnum" reference to establish an approximate date. The maker is still an unknown--not to mention the content--and variations of that pattern show up all over.

I was just so excited that I found something besides Circus posters when I searched for Prince & Barnum!
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

First let correct my last post. Pince & Barnum were listed as jewelers and watchmakers in the Galveston Daily News from 1866-1868. Looked on every site I could think of using the letter O as a starting point. Actually not an O but a C.

It's Jerome August Clark 1811-1885 of Batava NY. The example of the mark in American Silversmiths shows the same profile lion passant and C preceeded by J.A.C in a rectangular cartouche.

Would someone mind checking my homework?

Warren
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Let correct his name as Jerome Augustus Clark.
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Agreed - in my view, the mark shown in this thread (as the maker's mark) would be Jerome August Clark.

Waylander

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”