A curious sterling makers mark . . . Help?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
GYaccino

A curious sterling makers mark . . . Help?

Post by GYaccino »

Hello out there. I have searched every database and guide on line that I could find and have still not traced the marks on the bottom of a little pitcher and saucer that belonged to my grandmother. The word "STERLING" appears in capital letters atop a capital T within an inverted triangle, and underneath is the number 308. These are etched or stamped into the surface. I will provide a photo if I can figure out out to do so. Thank you in advance for any assistance one can provide.
GYaccino

Re: A curious sterling makers mark . . . Help?

Post by GYaccino »

Here is a link to a photo of the marks on the pieces in my previous post:
[http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... edfwuu.jpg]
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi GYaccino,

I have embedded your photo for all to see. When making a post, it's a good thing to use the preview function as it shows whether links and embedded pictures are working as expected.

The makers mark show that your pitcher was manufactured by Totten-Sommer Co, of Massachusetts. You can find out more here:

http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_T2.html

Cheers,
Steve
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Post by SteveDWollongong »

One last thought...you posted in the "Website Updates and Announcements" rather than a type and place category. I understand when you are new to both silver and the forum, knowing where to post is difficult. The stamped word "sterling" is always a good indicator that an item is likely to have been made in America. It's not 100% but a good starting point.

When next you view your post, it will most likely have been moved to it's correct category as our wonderful administrators are very efficient.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to “American Sterling & Coin Silver - Single Image”