Antal Bachruch - a retailer

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
AG2012
contributor

Antal Bachruch - a retailer

Post by AG2012 »

Antal Bachruch was an important silver and jewelry retailer and importer, located in Budapest at the turn of 19th/20th century, succeeded later by the firm ``A.Bachruch succ.``
There are many silver pieces offered as ``maker`` A.Bachruch — Austria. Even reputable auction houses do not bother to search for actual maker’s mark.
Most probably, Antal Bachruch has never made his own silver and all items seen so far clearly bear genuine maker’s mark with A.Bachruch added. The obvious reason for this wrong attribution is his mark, always well struck and full lettering. Silversmiths should be respected and this wrong attribution kept in mind. The most obvious example is given:M.H.Wilkens & Söhne,Bremen,but again, A.Bachruch mark is very prominent.
SilverDawg

Re: Antal Bachruch – a retailer

Post by SilverDawg »

Hello,

My name is Kc, and I recently submitted a post... well, yesterday, actually, and already got an answer to my query.
(See - European Silver - Other Countries: PLS, Help Identify the Maker of the "Bat Lady": Hungary)

At first, I was very excited to see the answer, for the mark on my silver piece is that of Antal Bachruch. Then I did a little more research and came across this post of yours. The mark on my piece is different than the one you showed in this post. But, unless there was another Antal Bachruch, it would appear that rather than knowing the maker of the piece, I know who sold it.

The timeline matches, as does the locale. And this means that I'm one step closer to discovering the creator of the Bat Lady. But, if I understand your post correctly, there should be another mark of the actual maker somewhere on the piece. Is this correct? I've looked over every centimeter of her, and the only other mark I might have found is a very, very tiny, rounded edge square with a letter B in it. But then again, it could simply be part of the design.

But, from what I understand, Antal BachRuch was not a silver maker, only the merchant who bought and sold the silver, yes?

Thank you, very much,
Kc
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I have a silver basket made by Wilkens of Bremen and retailed by A. Bachruch (marks depicted here) and a pair of open salts made by unidentified Vienna silversmith.
Marked with full name, no triangle.
On the other hand, A. Bachruch is known to have made silver that won prizes in e.g. Paris and also made St. Stephen jeweled bust. One does not win international awards with retailed items, right?
All said, if there is no additional mark, your figure was made by A.Bachruch but real question is who the sculptor was. Silversmiths execute figures in silver (lost wax rechnique), they are not sculptors.
Regards
huszas76
contributor

Post by huszas76 »

Hello!
Bachruch Antal was a maker and a retailer too. In the adress list of 1896-97 mentioned as a silversmith, they lived in the Váci street 25. I already showed his maker mark:
When he died, his son, Károly managed the business, and after 1922 his business partner, Zipper Antal Henrik (Anton Henrik Zipper). His mark was AHZ in a triangle, and in the items he signed, that his workshop is the successor of Bachruch.
The silver workshop worked in the Váci Street, the jewel workshop worked in the Galamb street. The offices, and the yard was in the Vörösmarty square.
Hope this helps.
BEst regards!
Krisztián
England2018

Post by England2018 »

Dear Krisztián,

Can you tell me when the jewellery shop of Bachruch closed?

Best regards
Jesper
huszas76
contributor

Re: Antal Bachruch - a retailer

Post by huszas76 »

Dear Jesper!
As I know, the shop wasn't the shop of Bachruch from 1922 (As I mentioned). The successor of the shop was Zipper Antal Henrik. The workshop was nationalized in 1949.
Best regards!
Krisztián
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Antal Bachruch - a retailer

Post by dognose »

A. Buchruch - Budapest - 1916

Trev.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”