Unknown german long hallmark. Germania...

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
FRIDA

Unknown german long hallmark. Germania...

Post by FRIDA »

Thanks to your website forum I found out these pieces have a german origin, however, on the back, there is this long "seal" hallmark (Germania...) that I just can't find in your encyclopedia of makers. Any thoughts about it? Some how this piece in particular ended up in bad shape. I did my best to reduce it's size using a phone magnifying glass. NY City

(Admin photo edit - oversized images)
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unknown german long hallmark. Germania...

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

An image of the whole item would be helpful.

Why are we seeing only part of the lower mark?

Trev.
silverfan
contributor

Post by silverfan »

the item was produced by Bruckmann (Peter Bruckmann & Söhne) Heilbronn (maker's mark eagle) and probably sold to Germaniawerft Kiel (Baltic Sea), a very important wharf 1867-1945.
Regards silverfan
FRIDA

Post by FRIDA »

silverfan wrote:the item was produced by Bruckmann (Peter Bruckmann & Söhne) Heilbronn (maker's mark eagle) and probably sold to Germaniawerft Kiel (Baltic Sea), a very important wharf 1867-1945.
Regards silverfan
Thank you, your comment makes a lot of sense, produced by Bruckmann, sold to Germaniawerft Kiel. Now the engraving, Was it a gift, could had been a celebration item an award? Is it merchandise? or just propaganda perhaps.

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
As far as I can see it`s an ashtray. And engraved name is Rösing. (The first letter is not clearly seen, but looks like R in Frakturschrift).
There was lieutenant commander Rösing mentioned in a document of Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes ) award to another officer who served with him on U- boats constructed at Germaniawerft Kiel (also mentioned in the document).
All said, it`s a corporate gift.
Regards
FRIDA

Post by FRIDA »

AG2012 wrote:Hi,
As far as I can see it`s an ashtray. And engraved name is Rösing. (The first letter is not clearly seen, but looks like R in Frakturschrift).
There was lieutenant commander Rösing mentioned in a document of Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes ) award to another officer who served with him on U- boats constructed at Germaniawerft Kiel (also mentioned in the document).
All said, it`s a corporate gift.
Regards
Hello AG2012, thank you for your comment, indeed interesting. An update about this piece, According to a local Manhattan jeweler, this item is made of silver.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

According to a local Manhattan jeweler, this item is made of silver.
Of course it is made of silver. Your first image shows ``Reichsmark`` (crescent moon and crown used since 1884 for minimum standard .800).
Regards
FRIDA

Post by FRIDA »

AG2012 wrote:
According to a local Manhattan jeweler, this item is made of silver.
Of course it is made of silver. Your first image shows ``Reichsmark`` (crescent moon and crown used since 1884 for minimum standard .800).
Regards

Indeed AG2012 it is an interesting item. We have made some research about it, and yes, it is related to the U Boat, Warship, Naval ship, Destroyers era, ¡what a shipbuilding industry of those days! (1867-1945) Well, we have learned that after a few mergers and acquisitions Norddeutsche Schiffbau-Gesellschaft and Gewerkschaft Deutscher Kaiser and Krupp eventually became what is now known as the ThyssenKrupp a conglomerated industry, and GERMANIAWERFT KIEL used to be their main shipyard until 1945 in the northern German city of Kiel by the Baltic Sea, and yes, they are still in the business of shipbuilding both civil and military products nowadays, they currently built Naval surface vessels, submarines, among others war products, but also recently they are very into the aerospace industry. What an amazing history between 1867-2016

Now, in the other hand, the last names engraved in the silver item tremendously match and harmonize for the main topic. Any comments appreciated.

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I did not pay attention to number ``583``. That was the key. It`s yard number of U-48 submarine built in 1939.
The commander between 21 May – 3 September 1940 was K.Kapt. Hans-Rudolf Rösing
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross (Ritterkreuz des Eisernen Kreuzes )mentioned earlier is a valid document; it awarded to him.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
here a photo with the Knight´s Cross

and all about this high order
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight's_ ... Iron_Cross

Goldstein
Vecchio

Post by Vecchio »

Hello, Is there any swastika insignia anywhere in the piece? I'd love to see more pictures if possible of course, Bruckmann was one of the main silver items providers for that regime as we all know. Interesting piece indeed.
FRIDA

Post by FRIDA »

Yes, Indubitably there is one, however I've opted not to disclose one photo of it, considering that as far as I concern it is not the nature of this forum to bring this topic out. Secondly, I had a worriment to be taken as I was making an ''Eulogy'' of that particular regime, (which is doubtless not the case), therefore, the main topic being misunderstood here.

I understand history can not be forgotten or buried, but making an overenthusiastic praise of that particular former regime is far from being
my purpose.

Frida.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”