Hallo.
Please identify.

(Admin edit)
anikopol
contributor

Re: identifity silversmith

Post by anikopol »

Hi,

We can see the Minerva (France, from 1838 to now), but I suppose you identified it.
Concerning the silversmith : his name seems to we fully written, but hard to read.
I read : F? or I? HUG?... or HUC?...

Unfortunatly, I did not find him on the "Vocabulaire" database (silversmith 1875-1914)
http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/inventai/patrimoine/

Hope it helps.
madej

Post by madej »

Thanks, maybe someone more help?
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Émile Hugo, an excellent maker, whose mark - “E. HUGO with a huguenote [a type of tureen]” - was registered in Paris :
18 Mar 1853-24 Jun 1859 at 18 rue de Quatre-Fils
25 Jun 1859-2 Oct 1880 at 12 rue Saint-Gilles

He was born Émile-Louis Hugo on 24 May 1824 in Étampes (now in the new département of Essone, but at the time part of Seine-et-Oise), and presumably trained by his father, silversmith André-Xavier Hugo.

I have not yet found out when he died, but he was still living in Paris in the 1890s at 6 rue de Saint-Petersbourg (where he is recorded in the electoral roll of 1891 and at the marriage of his daughter in 1895).

In April 1893 he presented his hometown with a large public fountain which bears his name: la Fontaine Hugo at la Place Notre-Dame.

Ref: Catherine Arminjon et al., Dictionnaire des Poinçons de Fabricants d'Ouvrages d'Or et d'Argent de Paris et de la Seine: 1838-1875 (Paris: Imprimerie Nationale, 1991), p. 145, #1439
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

Hi Blakstone,

Did Émile Hugo also worked at “The Maison Cardeilhac” (4 rue Roule, then 91 rue de Rivoli.Paris) where he connected his Maker's Mark to. ??

Best Regards
Dendriet
Dendriet
contributor

Post by Dendriet »

solved
I read and misunderstood
Silver of Emile Hugo, Paris, was retailed by Cardeilhac

Cardeilhac
Founded 1804

Maison Cardeilhac was founded by Antoine-Vital Cardeilhac in 1804. He traded at 14 and then 4 Rue du Roule, Paris and specialized in silver cutlery and table ware.

During the 19th century the firm was handed down from father to son, Armand-Edouard, and continued to produce, with great success, pieces which were largely inspired by wrought iron originals with a rich and finely executed ornamentation. Their work is particularly known for their chasing. Pieces typically have restrained naturalistic decoration that is occasionally varied with the use of ivory, wood, or different patinas.

Maison Cardeilhac exhibited at national and international exhibitions and received many awards, beginning with the Bronze Medal in 1823 and Silver Medals in 1827, 1834 and again at the Parisian Universal Exhibition in 1867. They were ultimately honored with a Gold Medal at the 1878 Universal Exhibition which gave them international renown.

Grandson Ernest introduced gold and silversmithing to the firm. He interned at Harleux and won a silver medal at the 1889 Exposition Universelle. Ernest Cardeilhac was the president of the jury for the cutlery section at the Exposition Universelle Internationale of 1900, and examples of the work of Cardeilhac were displayed at the Musee D'Orsay. The firm also exhibited gold and silver pieces done in collaboration with Lucien Bonvallet at the 1900 exposition.

After more than a century of masterful success, the company was acquired by Christofle in 1951 who continued the Cardeilhac patterns well into the 20th century.

Dendriet

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”