Silver jug most probably from Anvers - Silversmith

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
anikopol
contributor

Silver jug most probably from Anvers - Silversmith

Post by anikopol »

Hi dear readers !

Here are some marks on a belgian jug.

I am not so familiar with belgian marks, could you confirm what I identified so far and identify the silvermith ? Many thanks.
a Janus head with a "2" in a square : silver 2e title (833,33), Blegium, 1832-69
B swith a pick in a square : Anvers, period ?
a greek warrior head : garantee, Belgium, 1832-69
NM in a lozenge (fond et couvercle) : silversmith ?
blakstone
contributor

Re: Silver jug most probably from Anvers - Silversmith

Post by blakstone »

I don't see the image of the warrior's head, but that is where you will find the assay office letter; based on the other marks, it should be the letter "A" for Brussels.

The "B" with a hammer is the maker's mark, that of Auguste Bonnevie, who was born Brussels on 20 Feb 1816 and registered his mark there on 16 Jan 1839. In 1851 he moved to Schaerbeek, where he was listed until 1870 (when he presumably died).

The "NM" mark is the assayer's mark, that of Nicolas Laurent Joseph Monoyer, who worked in Mons 1809-1832 and Brussels 1832-1858.

Given this information, your piece must be Brussels, 1839-1858.

Hope this helps!

Ref: Walter van Dievoet, Répertoire Général des Orfèvres et des Marques d’Orfèvrerie en Belgique, v. II: 1798-1942 (Brussels: Académie d’Histoire de l’Orfèvrerie en Belgique, 2010), p. 46, mark #S/030 & p. 65, mark #A1/048
anikopol
contributor

Re: Silver jug most probably from Anvers - Silversmith

Post by anikopol »

Thank you blackstone for your information !

You are right, I did not post the image of the warrior's head ; note that I do not see the the assay office letter on this head ("A" for Brussels), maybe it is erased.

Walter van Dievoet did a great work on Belgian silver.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”