Austria -Hungary hallmark identification

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
madej

Austria -Hungary hallmark identification

Post by madej »

Hallo.Please identification Austria-Hungary silversmith hallmark.
For better quality click on the image.
Aguest
contributor

Re: Austria -Hungary hallmark identification

Post by Aguest »

Hello, what is this item, is there a larger pic? Also, are there any other hallmarks which would indicate Austria or Vienna?

::: Is It the [V][N] letters for Victor Nuber of Vienna Austria? Are those the letters I am seeing? Difficult to see the letters :::

What do you think the letters are, if you had to guess your best guess, maybe with using a magnifying glass or jeweler's loupe?
madej

Post by madej »

Hello. Another hallmark is the clover with Diana. Visible letters are A A and hallmark which is poorly legible
madej

Post by madej »

Hello again. I care about identification this hallmark
Please click on the image for better quality

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

There are a few silversmiths with the initials "AA" which are listed on a directory of Austro-Hungarian silversmiths.

Abel Anton years working is listed as 1876-1921, the longest career span of all the "AA" initialed silversmiths, but I have not seen his hallmark yet.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Ok it is not Anton Abel since I saw his hallmark inside an oval, and not the [A] [A] that you have there, very distinctive letters with a large space in-between....

Alfred Allina and Abraham Altendorf are two other names listed, and I believe there are more....

It gets difficult since there were so many silversmiths working in Vienna, which is where I am concentrating the search.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Ok, this is why I thought it was Victor Nuber, this was posted on an old hallmark-identification website:

The silversmith is "Victor Nuber," but the expert was not able to explain the significance of the [A] [A] ....

Maybe the makers mark is that other pic that you posted, it looks quite obscured and difficult to decipher....
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Separate ``A`` in a rectangle was used beside Diana head 1867 – 1872. After 1872 assay office letter was within the punch i.e. in front of Diana head. But separate assay office letter continued to be used on small and composite objects (e.g. legs and finials of sugar boxes, candlestick handles), proving that every part of composite object meets silver standard, sometimes struck twice.
The use was inconsistent and not well documented.
Take a look here:
http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ick#p77052
Regards
madej

Post by madej »

Thanks. They do not know what a silversmith because the hallmark is unreadable and the letters AA mean something else:(
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

AA, I believe AG2012 to be right; regional assay office letter A punched twice for Wien/Vienna used 1867-1872. To distinguish the marks before and after 1872, the post-1872 hallmarks have the addition of an assay office letter for both large and small items.

Best,

Peter

Source; Hallmark Research Institute World Hallmarks-Vl.1-Europe

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”