Please help identify country of origin and maker

Post by sandman »

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Please help identify country of origin and maker

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

It would be helpful if you could tell us something about the item, e.g. What is is?

Give some time to creating your post and describe the item and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.
sandman

Post by sandman »

The item is a small card case.
About 8cm*6cm*1cm

Thans,
dimi66

Post by dimi66 »

Good evening sandman,

Your card case seems to have been made by the jeweller Marius Metz, 58 Rue de Rome, Paris ,75, France. The date of his insculptation was June 27th 1924. The mark on your first picture looks like the "Small Garantee Boar" you find in the 925-1000 database section French Hallmarks 1798-1972. The maker's mark on your second picture I could not find in any register. The 925-1000 database section French Makers Marks character "M" however shows the name "Marius Metz" and the symbol "un porte-scie". Generally speaking this is a mobile saw but in our case it should be a jeweller's saw e.g. a fretsaw. Assumably the symbol between the two Ms of your card case's mark is this jeweller's saw: The handle seen from underneath (o) an the saw's bow above (I). If my interpretation is correct, on the given database your case was made from 1924 through 1972. The time span will be shorter if the maker did not work through 1972.

Best regards

dimi66
sandman

Post by sandman »

Wow! thank you for the information.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”