Purity Mark on French Silver Serving Spoon

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Gerald Bamberger

Purity Mark on French Silver Serving Spoon

Post by Gerald Bamberger »

This piece bears a Queille hallmark. I'm looking for help from someone with experience reading 19thC French purity marks. Looks like 950 silver Minerva in an octagonal punch to me, but I am overwhelmed by the subtleties and thought I'd reach out. I'm hoping that this one photo will suffice, and I'm hoping I've posted it appropriately in the "photo shy" category! This photo is the best I could come up with in a dozen attempts. Any assistance much appreciated. If I've made a mistake in this request please be gentle, only my second time at bat in this forum!
AG2012
contributor

Re: Purity Mark on French Silver Serving Spoon

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
There is clear difference between .800 and .950 Minerva head.
Your mark is on the right to compare with.
Regards
Gerald Bamberger

Post by Gerald Bamberger »

Thank you, AG2012! Naively I would say the key difference apparent to me is that the 800 mark has rounded sides while the 950 mark is octagonal with straight sides. Is that in fact the key distinction? Or is there something I should be looking at in the Minerva image itself? Please forgive my novice status!
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hello again,
Right, basically that`s it: the difference in background (cartouche, shield). As well as number 1 for the first standard (.950) in front of forehead and number 2 for the second standard under the chin (.800).
Regards

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”