.935 Silver Lipstick Tube (perhaps German)

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
NTWBayDwell

.935 Silver Lipstick Tube (perhaps German)

Post by NTWBayDwell »

Hello Forum,
I have a vintage lipstick tube with the hallmark .935 at the top of the cap and a maker's mark of an "A" over an "L" with two crossed smoking pipes in between. There is another marking on the inside body of the dispenser reading "Met-div." I'd love to know more about it. Thank you in advance! Images are here:

(admin photo edit)
Aguest
contributor

Re: .935 Silver Lipstick Tube (perhaps German)

Post by Aguest »

Contributor Bahner posted this:

"Hello, since the Polish hallmarking law of 1920 the word "Metal"(since 1932 it was just "Met", later it became "Metal" again) was used on pieces that combined precious and non precious metals. It was to tell the buyer what to expect. So it wasn't jus a word, it described a quality of the object this was stamped on. Best wishes, Banner."

This is just a guess, but would the phrase "Met-Div" mean "Diverse Metals" in other words, two different types of metals are used in this object, which is partially made of 935 silver and partially made of base (non-precious) metals?

I am unclear on the makers mark, but this would direct us in the direction of Poland, at this point, if this is takes us on an error journey I cannot know...
NTWBayDwell

Post by NTWBayDwell »

I see that the Polish word for metal (noun) is "metal" as well. Thank you for this information. It would make sense for the outside of the case to be .935 and the interior a mix of metals. Since the "Met-Div" is on the dispenser/tube and not the sheath/cap, it could be concluded that they were made in different countries, no?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Perhaps the cap did not have to be marked since it was only made of base metal? I'm guessing that the cap would have been made in the same workshop as the mixed-metal tube, if I had to make a best guess, I would lean towards the same workshop....

My best guess is Poland, but if it is Germany, could it have something to do with the "Alsace-Lorraine" region of Germany? Could that explain the "AL" with crossed tobacco pipes? That is a long shot, to say the least. The hallmarks are for Poland, so we should stick with Poland and not jump to any absurd conclusions, which sometimes I am tempted to do.....
NTWBayDwell

Post by NTWBayDwell »

The tangents are a part of the fun of exploration! :-) Many thanks for knowledge.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”