18th Century Swiss goblet - marks?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
piette
contributor

18th Century Swiss goblet - marks?

Post by piette »

Hi all -

I have a question regarding a piece of silver which I believe to be late 17th Century Swiss. Can anyone shed any light on the marks? One appears to be oval with some visible texture, somewhat indecipherable, and the other possibly a maker's mark? LK below a coronet.

All help much appreciated!

Thanks -
P
piette
contributor

Re: 18th Century Swiss goblet - marks?

Post by piette »

No suggestions anybody?
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Piette,

The oval mark could it be a French weevil import mark? This particular oval import mark used 1864-1893. Silver imported items from French treaty countries were struck with the weevil.Treaty countries are those countries with which France had signed commercial customs treaties. The primary basis of the customs treaty is the agreement that any duty paid on the importation of a precious metal item would be refunded to the exporter if the item was subsequently re-exported. The Netherlands was one of the treaty countries.

See:
http://hallmarkwiki.com/?country=France
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 106#p78106
The maker's mark, at the moment no access to my books&files, will check later next week if no further reactions.
Best,

Peter
Joerg
contributor

Post by Joerg »

Hi
I did not find a match for LK under a crown.
I checked the markings of Swiss goblets, focussing on the period from 1650 to 1700. You specify late 17th century, so I concentrated there. It appears goblets were produced in all larger cities and also in some villages. I notice most goblets from this period have a maker mark and a city or guarantee mark. Marks with crowns have a tendency to come from the western (French speaking) part of Switzerland, mainly Geneva. They should go with a city or guarantee mark.
I assume you are sure there is no other mark on your goblet? Still, can you show us the whole cup? And maybe clean (carefully) the marks? I am amazed Peter identified the French import mark out of the black round mark.
Regards, Jörg
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hi both of you -

Thank you for the help with researching! Oel, I can't believe you identified the mark from that awful picture! Here are some more pictures of the item - any help is really appreciated. Its initialed underneath 'MD' conjoined.

Thank you all -
Sam
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

For context, it is 19cm / 7.5" in height, and weighs about 155g.

Sam

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”