Post by Theoderich »

http://www.925-1000.com/Ffrench_makers_A.html
it looks similar to Auguste Leroy but it is different
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: french maker AL and a bird

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Theoderich,

I can offer the following possible maker for you to investigate but as I have never seen his mark am only going by its description. If you think the bird could be a chicken(not a male rooster or cockerel, then it might be(From the French Ministry of Culture database):

(http://www.culture.gouv.fr/public/mistr ... 4%24%2534P)

auteur: Laroche, Auguste
patronyme(s): Laroche
prénom (état civil): Auguste
profession: Fabricant bijoutier
initials: A.L.
symbols: une poule
n° de garantie: A9923
n° de prefecture: 10430
date d'insculpation: 12 août 1887 (réinsculpation le 9 novembre 1962 n° 1144)
date de biffage: 14 octobre 1970
lieu(x) d'activité: 75 Paris
adresse de l'atelier: 1) 12 rue de Saintonge ;
2) 96 rue de Turenne

There is a photo of his mark on the website but unfortunately neither the initials nor the chicken are distinguishable.

Cheers,
Steve
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

I thank You Steve,

a very nice link.

Best Wishes
Theoderich
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

Hello Theoderich.
Here is my feedback on this mark:
-You don’t say what the object is, nor do you show a picture of it, making it more difficult to determine if style and type correspond to the mark.
-The Minerva head is so blurry on my monitor that it is impossible for me to see if this is a Paris or a provincial maker.
-The French Ministry of Culture website lists Paris makers registered after 1878. By all means look at the A.L. marks on that website, but not knowing the place of manufacture, or being able to identify style of the object could lead you astray.
-My ornithology is a bit weak, but the symbol of a winged creature on your mark doesn’t look to me much like a hen, but rather like a songbird.
-The proposed maker Laroche was a manufacturing jeweller; not knowing what the object is doesn’t let us confirm.
-If I were a betting person, my money would be on a member of the Leroy family, say Alexandre Leroy, working in Paris in the mid-nineteenth Century, whose symbol was a wren. See Arminjon, v. 2, no. 000413, p. 60.

Wishing you all the best in your ongoing research.
Theoderich
contributor

Post by Theoderich »

JayT wrote:Hello Theoderich.
Here is my feedback on this mark:
-You don’t say what the object is, nor do you show a picture of it, making it more difficult to determine if style and type correspond to the mark.
-The Minerva head is so blurry on my monitor that it is impossible for me to see if this is a Paris or a provincial maker.
-The French Ministry of Culture website lists Paris makers registered after 1878. By all means look at the A.L. marks on that website, but not knowing the place of manufacture, or being able to identify style of the object could lead you astray.
-My ornithology is a bit weak, but the symbol of a winged creature on your mark doesn’t look to me much like a hen, but rather like a songbird.
-The proposed maker Laroche was a manufacturing jeweller; not knowing what the object is doesn’t let us confirm.
-If I were a betting person, my money would be on a member of the Leroy family, say Alexandre Leroy, working in Paris in the mid-nineteenth Century, whose symbol was a wren. See Arminjon, v. 2, no. 000413, p. 60.

Wishing you all the best in your ongoing research.
Hello Jay,
I thank You for Yor feedback. I am sorry for the bad word image.
I was visiting a friend and had no camera with me. It was a wine decanter.
For me it looks more like 2nd half of 19th century.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome Theoderich. Now you have a number of leads to follow on the maker of the decanter.
Best regards,
JayT

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”