CLI:CHRETIEN

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
amena
contributor

CLI:CHRETIEN

Post by amena »

Yesterday I found two old forks,very spoiled, nothing special, but I was intrigued by the words, punched, not engraved
CLI.CHRETIEN
I think it's not the owner's name, but I can not imagine what it is.
Does anyone have a hypothesis?
Thanks
Amena
Joerg
contributor

Re: CLI:CHRETIEN

Post by Joerg »

Hi Amena
French forks, Louis-Philippe period. The letters are crudely punched. An apprentice in a silversmith shop whould have been sacked for this.
I conclude the stamping was done fast with little need for representation.
Could CLI be a Roman number, 151? Would explain the lower quality of the stamping, lot of flatware to be stamped...
CHRETIEN is French for Christian. It is also a family name. Maybe it is the owner, though, and 151 is an inventory number?
Do both forks have the CLI?
So inventory marks. Just an idea.
Regards, Jörg
amena
contributor

Re: CLI:CHRETIEN

Post by amena »

Thanks Joerg for the answer.
I had not thought about CLI as Roman numerals, it could be a way to explore. The two forks have the same letters CLI.
I think that a person or a family would have the name, or initials, or crest engraved, not crudely punched.
Christian is a name and also a surname, but also an adjective. So I thought CLI was an abbreviation for a Christian institution, perhaps a place where there was a mess-hall for prelates or something like, but in fact I have no idea about the exact meaning of CLI.
Best
Amena

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”