Hendrik Jurrien Wolters mark?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
fionashen1

Hendrik Jurrien Wolters mark?

Post by fionashen1 »

Hello -Not sure if I successfully posted an image with my first enquiry. I am researching a small silver box with a lion purity mark, plus what appears to be a maker's mark HW with a 2 or Z below. Could this be the maker Hendrik Jurrien Wolters?
Thank you,
Fiona Shen

oel
co-admin

Re: Hendrik Jurrien Wolters mark?

Post by oel »

Hi Fiona, welcome to the Dutch forum. For information about Dutch (hall)marks see:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
The maker's mark appears to be a square with; HW above 2 for: Willem Hermanus Weenink & Zoon (Son), registered silversmith city of Zwolle 1812/1883 with 11 various maker's mark. This particular maker's mark HW above 2 used 1847/1883.

The two maker's marks of Jurrien Hendrik Wolters are in a lozenge; HIW under 1 and HW under 2 dots both used 1812/1813, registered in the city of Zutphen. The lozenge shape was introduced during the time of the French regime (1795 -1813) when the French occupied, what we today call, The Netherlands.

Could you show us the object and could you check for a Dutch year letter and assay office mark/Minerva head?

Peter.
fionashen1

Post by fionashen1 »

Hello - thank you for this most useful information. Here is the box. There were only these 2 marks on it, which I thought was odd.

oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi, check the inside of the lid, I believe I do recognize the assay office mark or Minerva head, the date letter could be somewhere "hidden" around the rim of the box or lid.
By the way Hendrik Jurrien Wolters started as a registered silversmith in 1765 during the time of the Dutch guilds (Ancien Régime ) period in Zutphen and used his initials HIW.

Peter
fionashen1

Post by fionashen1 »

Thank you very much Peter! I will look more closely and see if I can find anything else and post it if I do.
I appreciate your help!
Fiona

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”