R (two conjoined rings) D - France

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Aguest
contributor

R (two conjoined rings) D - France

Post by Aguest »

It is difficult to see, but it seems to be "R" (two conjoined rings) "D" in the diamond-shaped lozenge:

Aguest
contributor

Re: R (two conjoined rings) D - France

Post by Aguest »

The only other hallmarks are two tiny hallmarks which I do not recognize, it could be the Minerva, but that is supposed to be 950 which would conflict with the "925" written out in numbers, not really sure about these two hallmarks:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

It seems to be the same hallmark struck twice, the "Crab" hallmark which guarantees minimum fineness of 800 silver ___ French maker still unknown ___
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

This is the maker’s mark and signature of Roland Daraspe. He is a contemporary silversmith working near Lyon. I’m away from my library now, so can’t give you more info, but you could visit his website to find out about him and his work. There are not many silversmith/designers left in France. Daraspe has won awards, and has exhibited extensively. It would be nice if you could show the whole object.

As for the other two marks, this is the petite Minerve, indicating sterling silver, stamped twice. Does the object have 2 pieces or parts? The double stamp would indicate this. France, alas, has adopted the sterling standard in accordance with European Union policies. This is NOT a crab mark.

Hope this helps.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Right, good information and I thank you very much, the silversmith Roland Deraspe is a great artist, one of only two French silversmiths/goldsmiths to have been elevated to the title of "Master Of Arts" - a distinction created in 1994 to honor only those at the very top of their respective fields - selected by President Francois Mitterand as a supplier of gifts to heads of state, including Queen Elizabeth II et. al.

Having trained in Aeronautic Engineering, he had experience working with many different metals even before training with a stained-glass window master craftsman in 1974, but eventually in 1978 he became a silversmith/goldsmith, At first he produced small objects, many of which could fit into a handbag such as pill boxes, cigarette cases and other smaller objects. This fits with the object which I have, I guess it is either a card case or a cigarette case, and it has a hinged lid which fits perfectly into the body, which is hand-hammered, and the lid closes with such perfection that it reminded me of an object with "surgical precision" such that I wasn't surprised when I read about Roland Deraspe's degree in Aeronautic Engineering.

Roland Deraspe quickly rose to the top of his field, and began to produce table items of extremely high quality for connoisseurs and art collectors who appreciate the incredible attention to detail in each item. For a long time now he has only produced "made to order" works, including ceremonial swords for the French Academy, certain liturgical items such as chalices and a tabernacle, and unique one-of-a-kind items.

Apologies for my incorrect attribution of the hallmarks. If Roland Deraspe started his career in 1978, then France would have been using the Minerva hallmark which would signify 925 silver. I did not realize that France had accepted this lower standard, and perhaps this has something to do with the Common Control Conventions which occurred in the early 1970s, and there were a series of treaties which involved several European nations to adopt common standards of metal purity. I guess France chose to keep the traditional Minerva symbolism but agreed to set the standard at 925? It was difficult for me to figure this out. Is this symbol referred to as the "Petite Minerva" in common language?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Sorry everyone, especially to Roland, I wrote the best article I could but the auto-correct feature led to a misspelling of your surname, that of Daraspe.

Please accept my apology.
JayT
contributor

Post by JayT »

You’re welcome. Yes, Daraspe is very talented, and a nice person.

France adopted the 925 sterling standard in 1972 in accordance with EU ruling. The new standard mark is called la petite Minerve in French. For full information about this mark, please see Tardy, 20th edition.

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”