GU Hovedvandsaeg 1750?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Aguest
contributor

GU Hovedvandsaeg 1750?

Post by Aguest »

The maker's mark is "GU" on a Hovedvandsaeg and all details are hand-crafted and hand-cut, probably circa 1750 :: I guess Denmark? :::

Aguest
contributor

Re: GU Hovedvandsaeg 1750?

Post by Aguest »

There seem to be four distinct marks, if I am not mistaken, the "GU" hallmark, of course, and then there seem to be three distinct hallmarks all stamped together to the right of the "GU" hallmark :: The top seems to be a tower ::: The middle seems to be a tree or something :::: The bottom seems to be a date letter, looks like a very stylized "u" in a distinct stamp ::::: These marks are also on the lid of the egg-shaped box, and then you take off that lid, and then you see another lid with tiny holes pierced in it (kind of like a modern pepper shaker head) and when you take that lid off you see a very heavily gold-washed egg-shaped section; there are floral motifs around the box and it is footed :: I am quite certain this is a Hovedvandsaeg because the description of these boxes lines up perfectly with the construction of this box, but I just lack the resources to de-code the hallmarks which I believe are 18th century Scandinavian of some kind :::::::::: I have searched for hours with no luck :
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Lid hallmarks are even smaller ::

The series of (supposed) 3 hallmarks all stuck together again even smaller :::

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Is the center "tree-like" hallmark the symbol for "Eksjo Sweden" in either the early or mid-18th century? :: There is a similarity to a hallmark I found for Eksjo Sweden dated 1779 so perhaps there is enough similarity to point the research in the direction of Sweden? ::: I've seen references to "Gustavian Silver" so I believe this box falls into that category, but I am not quite certain yet ::::
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Aguest -

please clean the marks and make sharp photos!

I enclose some Danish marks in the from you mentioned time span - but the quality of your photos is much to bad to say something...
and please show a photo of the object! The country of origin (form, type, style) could be a great help.

Regards
Goldstein
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I did clean them but taking a sharp picture is proving difficult:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I might have to find a better camera:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I tried cleaning the hallmarks:

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I can't get a good picture because the location of the hallmarks is on the curved egg-shaped surface which is on the bottom of the egg, and the surrounding floral border is interfering with my light source so I can't get accurate lighting and my camera cannot focus properly ::

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I am still trying to take a better pic of the smaller hallmarks, but the "tree-like" hallmark below the "tower-like" hallmark does seem to be a tree (or a bush) with a dangling root, that is the best way I can describe it, I will get better pics of the smaller hallmarks as soon as possible, it does help a lot to clean the hallmarks, apologies for not cleaning the hallmarks ::

Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Aguest -

now it is clear what it is - a vinaigrette and not a hovedvandsaeg. Hovedvandsaeg were in the scandinavian countries used - vinaigrettes in France, England, Italy etc. In this counties you have to look for the marks - I opt for Italy.

typical hvedvandsaeg:

typical vinaigrette:

What is a Vinaigrette?

Sterling silver vinaigrettes are small decorative boxes that were used during periods of travel, as a more accessible and practical alternative method of carrying perfume and scents than moving large glass bottles and vials. The perfume, or aromatic vinegar, would be contained within these boxes soaked in a sponge. The box would also have a grille to cover the sponge. Vinaigrette sizes tended to vary, with their widths spanning from half and inch to 4 inches. Silver examples would always be gilded at the point where the sponge would touch the metal. This was to avoid any corrosion.

During the 19th century vinaigrettes were a fashionable indication of social ranking, as those who were able to afford perfume or concern themselves with their outward appearance at all were among the elite. Sanitisation standards were low for all including the highest classes, but they were able to compensate with perfume which would distinguish them from the working class. Not only was the scent just a disguise; many also believed that pleasant smells would protect them from diseases. The association between illness and bad smells had been acknowledged. The solution to the problem however, not quite reached.

Perfume was also an exotic extravagance, so to be able to both afford perfume and then contain it within a decorative vinaigrette was the height of social distinction and a display of grandeur and wealth.

Regards
Goldstein
Aguest
contributor

Cutshing Chinese Export?

Post by Aguest »

Cutshing used a variety of "CU" and pseudo-hallmarks, I am almost certain this is it, a known maker of snuff boxes, I have not found this exact set of hallmarks but I have found the "CU" which looks extremely similar to the "CU" on this box :::

Still searching for more variations of the Cutshing hallmarks, there were really many variations, I have found 10 variations so far :::

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”