Please help identify maker and country of origin

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
silverjewels

Please help identify maker and country of origin

Post by silverjewels »

I would appreciate any help on identification on any of the 5 hallmarks on a box I have. I was told this piece is sterling silver and is Dutch or Danish in origin, but I have no idea. I have not been able to identify any of the 5 hallmarks. Do any of these hallmarks indicate the piece is silver or some other material? Can anyone figure out the maker's mark? What is H2? I'm also unsure of the date mark or what I thought was a date letter.

oel
co-admin

Re: Please help identify maker and country of origin

Post by oel »

Hi, welcome to the forum. You write about five marks but show only three marks. Why not show all marks and item?

Yes, Dutch solid silver indeed. The H2 mark in oval is the assayers mark for; Johan Daniel Houtman active assayer cities of Groningen, Zwolle & Amsterdam during 1862/1900. The number 2 indicates 2nd standard silver .833 fineness. The Gothic I is the year letter for 1893.
For Dutch (hall) marks see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
Assayer's identification mark information see;
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590#p83316
The maker's mark is not clear to me.
There als should be a standard mark, the lion passant and an office mark or Minerva head?

Peter.
silverjewels

Post by silverjewels »

Thank you for your reply! I just realized I did not mention what or where the 5th hallmark was. It is stamped H2 a second time on the edge lip of the lid. So it does have a total of 5 hallmarks that I am able to make out so far on the box, 4 of which are pictured above, with the H2 one being repeated in a second location. Should I be concerned about the authenticity of the piece if I can't find a standard mark, lion passant or minerva head despite having the H2 assayer's mark that you identified? I posted another image with everything labeled to clarify. Thank you for your help.

silverjewels

Post by silverjewels »

I need a lesson in reading gothic letters, I never would have thought that date letter was an I. LOL - thank you. The mark labeled B in the above post's photo is the second picture I posted in my original post because it was very difficult to see in the first one. Lighting had to hit it just right to be able to see it properly.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

H2 ; 2nd standard solid silver assayer's mark of Johan Daniel Houtman active in the cities of Groningen, Zwolle & Amsterdam during 1862/1900.
Below the assayer's mark the year letter Gothic I for 1893.
No reason to be concerned.
Your other unknown mark (B) could be a center point (centering punch), if it is in the middle of the box's bottom. If not a centering punch, although I doubt it, it could be a (wrongly punched and made invalid) sword mark for small silver work;
The sword (used1814-1905) and 2nd sword mark used 1906-1953. Standard mark for; small work silver minimum 833 fineness= 83.3% pure silver and used on small work without date letter and office mark and in combination with maker's mark. NB. This sword mark also used on large work consisting of more than three parts interconnected by links or hinges. On these objects the office mark, standard mark and date letter were spread, one per part, the remaining parts were struck with the sword mark.

Peter.
silverjewels

Post by silverjewels »

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your helpful replies. I looked in the thread you gave for information on the H2 hallmark and Johan Daniel Houtman, however I could not find it in there. I also tried searching google for Johan Daniel Houtman and could not find anything specific. Would you please point out where you got that information? I'm so excited because every time I examine the piece again carefully, I'm finding extremely tiny, difficult to see hallmarks all over the piece. The H2 hallmark appears everywhere, and I was also able to find the lion passant with key, as well as the minerva head with an A to indicate the Amsterdam regional assay office. I also found a single sword hallmark :)

Sincerely,
silverjewels
oel wrote:Hi, welcome to the forum. You write about five marks but show only three marks. Why not show all marks and item?

Yes, Dutch solid silver indeed. The H2 mark in oval is the assayers mark for; Johan Daniel Houtman active assayer cities of Groningen, Zwolle & Amsterdam during 1862/1900. The number 2 indicates 2nd standard silver .833 fineness. The Gothic I is the year letter for 1893.
For Dutch (hall) marks see:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32028
Assayer's identification mark information see;
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590#p83316
The maker's mark is not clear to me.
There als should be a standard mark, the lion passant and an office mark or Minerva head?

Peter.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,
The information is not available online.

Source 3 book(lets);
Waarborgholland, ˜Netherlands' Responsibility Marks since 1797
Netherlands' responsibility marks since 1797 : a review of the Netherlands makers' marks, importers' marks, assay office identification marks, assayers' marks and trade asayers' marks for gold, silver and platinum since the introduction of the law of the 19th Brumaire year 6 (9-11-1797) /Holland Assay Office

http://www.sudoc.abes.fr/xslt//DB=2.1/S ... sinds+1797

Great you have found all hallmarks. The maker's mark remains a puzzle.

Peter.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

The above maker's mark possibly could read 3A above D R for: Antonius Jacobus Hendricus de Ruiter, registered in Amsterdam 1874-1900. A very skilled silversmith.
Image Image
https://www.geni.com/people/Antonius-de ... 8552599850
https://data.jck.nl/page/aggregation/jhm-museum/M000122
Antonius Jacobus Hendricus de Ruiter 's workshop also made some falsifications of so called antique 17th century engraved silver beakers and Commemorative Spoons. As mentioned by K.A. Citroen in his little red book Valse Zilvermerken in Nederland.

Peter

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”