Strange task 5

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
amena
contributor

Strange task 5

Post by amena »

I have the strange task of judging the competence of someone who has collected some silver marks and cataloged them.
There are marks of Italian cities, but also marks that are attributed to European cities, and I have no authoritative texts on foreign silver, so I ask the experts for help.
This mark is cataloged as Lisbon, but I don't know it. Can anyone give me a definite answer?
Thanks for attention
Amena
huszas76
contributor

Re: Strange task 5

Post by huszas76 »

Maybe Sweden, Strömstad?
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@Huszas
Not a a bad idea, but in that case more marks must be found on the object e.g. maker's mark, cat's paw...
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi
Thanks for cooperation.
As I said in "strange task 1" It is a collection of metal cuttings next to each of which there is the name of a city.
It is not possible to know which other marks there could be on the piece from which it was cut.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

No problem but mind my asking, what is the whole idea with trying to identify marks on metal junk???
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Hi Qrt.S
The matter is a bit complicated.
Studying the Parma's marks of the eighteenth century I realized that I never found a hallmark identical to the drawing published on the different books (Divis, Tardy, Donaver Dabbene, etc.), but only a few marks that only resemble the drawing. Why?
In fact, everyone has copied the Rosenberg drawing, which took as valid a tablet published in Churchill's book, and has drawn a design with a little imagination.
(http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ll#p167301)
I asked myself: who made this tablet and how much did he know?
The tablets are two, by the same author, one on Italian silver in which the hallmarks are all correct apart from that of Parma which left me doubtful.
The other tablet concerns foreign cities, and from what emerged from the answers to my "strange task" posts, the author has been wrong several times. So I can deduce that even with regards to Parma, its attribution is uncertain and probably it is not a hallmark but a maker's mark or something like.
Do I make myself clear?
Amena
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi amena,

Well to be honest no, I don't follow you now. Silver marks is not an absolute science. I know you know that the most familiar marks to me are the Nordic countries and imperial Russia. The same problems are found among them i.e. everybody seems to copy each other more or less. Bäcksbacka, Postnikova, Rothemund, Paulson not to mention the horrible Watts etc.. There is no book with 100 per cent correct information. Anyway, I don't actually understand why you brought in Parma. Its mark is not even close to what you show in "Strange task 3" (not here in task 5). Yes, Rosenberg's picture is copied from Churchill, but he must have got it from somewhere. It is hardly picked from the sky....or is it? You say you never found an identical mark to the drawing!? The drawings are almost always made from soot marks, which make them not so detailed, but never!?
Sorry but I couldn't do any better...
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Of course the one who made the tablet did not take it from the sky, but from a silver object with that mark.
Below you can see it in comparison with Rosenberg's picture.
The point that is important to me, is not the similarity between the real mark and the picture, but the fact that the tablet's maker, Rosenberg, and all the others above, consider it the Parma's hallmark, while I think it is just a maker's mark.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Dear amena,
Mind may saying, but originally you asked info about a mark in task 3 to which I responded it being from Madrid and referring to Rosenberg. Now in this thread, "task 5" you talk about Parma and show a different mark but "comparing" it to the mark in task 5. In addition,here you compare two marks with some similarities assuming one being a hallmark, the other possibly a maker's mark. You cannot compare marks like that. As an example: There are dozens of almost similar lion marks from different countries, but they are incomparable. I'm completely lost, what are we talking about??? I gladly discuss with you, but please specify the subject.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I posted five questions just to test how reliable the information obtained from two tablets owned by the Como museum was. I received some answers to my questions and I thank all those who collaborated.
Then you asked me
what is the whole idea trying to identify marks on metal junk?
I tried to explain it, but obviously English is not my strongest point; in fact I only made confusion and I apologize.
On the other hand, I understand that it is very difficult for me to explain the details of my research and I think it is better to close the matter here thanking again everyone who has collaborated .
Best regards
Amena

Return to “German, French, Dutch, Russian, Scandinavian or Other - Single Image”