Beehive maker’s mark? Rudge Retailer?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Beehive maker’s mark? Rudge Retailer?

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, shown below is a composite photo of a well marked fiddle pattern teaspoon I just bought.

“Our” 925-1000 web site carries no reference in the “silverplate marks” section to a “beehive” figural mark or to any “S.Bros” makers. A quick look on the “Silvercollection.it” however found a “beehive trademark” used by a Sheffield cutlers and silversmith company “Slater Brothers”. They have been a long lasting concern, starting in the 1st half of the 19th century and there are references for “Slater Brothers” in the Sheffield Archives and there is a reference to some early history in a “Sheffield Star” newspaper article in 2015. I could not get a link to work, sorry.
At various periods, Herbert M. Slater Ltd, J.Slater & Sons and other names have been used. The Beehive mark is associated with their “Beehive Works” found on “Fitzwilliam Street” in Sheffield. Apparently the company used Beehive works 1889 - 1904 before moving to a “Venture Works” in 1904 and incidentally used another trademark “Venture”. That trademark is well known on “Slater Brothers” bladed items.
Moving on to the “Rudge” mark I found a couple of possible “Rudges” who could have retailed my spoon but with scant help from the inter net my best “guess” is a “J Rudge” from Dursley near Stroud in Gloucestershire. The concern was referenced in 1900 as a watchmaker and jeweller from a receipt listed on line.
A link follows: http://www.dursleyglos.org.uk/images/du ... e_1900.jpg

I did just get this spoon from a South West of England source but the evidence for that Retailer is a little weak so any more ideas?

Yours
Fishless
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Beehive maker’s mark? Rudge Retailer?

I have another image now that I think could be related to the electroplating concern in my earlier post. The marks below are on another teaspoon.

We see the beehive image flanked by “Beehive” and “Silver but there is no other “Slater” branding. On the front of this spoon’s finial was a date 1939 and “Ordnance Factory”. Although there is no British War Department “broad arrow” mark to be seen, this spoon was likely made at the begining of WWII for staff working in a “war effort” factory. This spoon is a possible indication that “Slater’s” were still in business in the 1940’s.
Fishless
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Beehive maker’s mark? Rudge Retailer?

Hello again, I think I will stop buying old electroplate cutlery so I do not have to keep replying to my own posts. Researching an old meat cleaver turned up another Sheffield cutler using the “Beehive mark”. Picture below.

Gregory Brothers were apparently very well respected for the production of “bladed” kitchenware. A further “delve” on the net found an advert with an apparent date of 1945 from “Graces Guide” and a Sheffield address of “Balmoral Works, Matilda Street, Sheffield” when the trade mark was as seen below with the stylised hammer.

A second associated ad, this time apparently from 1938, gave the address as 37 Matilda Street but had extra information possibly relevant to this post. The ad stated “incorporating the business of Marples & Co, Mary Street, Sheffield” but the ad also carried the below image.

Now it seems a “Beehive” mark was used by another company around a period at the start of the WWII so perhaps it is likely that “Gregory Brothers“ were responsible for the Ordnance Factory spoon and not “Slaters”.

Fishless

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”