asahi shoten kobe box ,Maker?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
gsmoggy

asahi shoten kobe box ,Maker?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Members

I have a silver plated round box ,which is very heavy ,with the retailers mark of Asahi Shoten Kobe .Yokohama.Bamboo and Mt Fuji in the decoration. I would like to know if anyone knows the maker of these boxes ?I was wondering if they may have been made in China by companies like Wang Hing as the design looks more like a Chinese design except for Mt Fuji.
Regards Guido.

AG2012
contributor

Re: asahi shoten kobe box ,Maker?

Post by AG2012 »

Not made in China.
Silvered box (Asahi Shoten) – Japan – Circa 1930 (Meiji period)
Round silvered box, diameter 11.5 cm, height 5 cm. Is quite heavy: 650 g! Made by Asahi Shoten (Asahi Shoten Kobe Yokohama), trade mark is the rising sun on the bottom of the box.
Depiction of bamboo strands and leaves with the mountain Fuji in the middle.
gsmoggy

Re: asahi shoten kobe box ,Maker?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Ag
many thanks for your comments. I did already know most of what you posted. I understood That Asahi Shoten Kobe was a retailer and not the maker ,that is the question I was asking,Who made this box? Your info probably comes from the only other one I found online that was sold.and the only one that seems to come up when I google the company.I have seen similar designs in repousse work,that were made by companies like Wang Hing ,although my box because of it's weight is made by the casting method.

Were boxes with Japanese designs made in china for the Japanese market? just as other countries made things for the export markets?

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”