markings on fish knives

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
fishknife

markings on fish knives

Post by fishknife »

I'm trying to find out something about the markings on some fish knives I have but am not getting very far, any help would be appreciated.
oel
co-admin

Re: markings on fish knives

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum.

EPNS A in gothic letters for: Electro Plated Nickel Silver . The A is a quality indicator..EPNS stands for "Electro Plated Nickel Silver". Nickel Silver (or occasionally stainless steel) is the base metal onto which silver is plated. Despite its name, Nickel Silver contains no silver at all, but is an alloy of Nickel, Zinc & Copper.

Peter.
fishknife

Post by fishknife »

Thanks for that. I misread it entirely - I thought it was a symbol followed by BASA.
PCT3

Post by PCT3 »

Below the EPNS A1 mark on my Sheffield teapot, the number 836 is stamped. Can you tell me what that signifies?? Thank you, PCT3
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

No, we can't, although we normally guess that it's probably a pattern number or some other form of internal factory identification number, the significance of which has been lost and was probably not very important anyway.

In future please start a new topic for posts which do not directly follow on from the previous subject.

Phil

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”