Walker and hall??

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
al.b

Walker and hall??

Post by al.b »

Hi I have a set of 6 fish knives and forks form walker and hall.. Trying to find some info on them its seems that the hallmark is normally a flag with w & h inside, but these have the w & h all stamped separately then the s for Sheffield then a date stamp which i am not sure of then an ep with a crown which i presume means electroplating...

Just wanted to know was it common for them not to use the flag and stamp the w & h separate.

sorry tried to take photos but was just a blur

many thanks
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Three of my references show Walker & Hall using a silverplate mark like that from 1852 to 1897.

Pat.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Walker & Hall were marking thier E.P. pieces with marks such as this, with regular variations, right up until the 1960s. If you can read the date letter mark, which should be a single letter, I can give you a date of manufacture. The shape of the shield is also important to dating.

Paul.
al.b

Post by al.b »

Thanks for replys the markings are like pat has put up I think the year stamp is x but not 100%..the shield is just like the diagram..

thanks for the replys much appreciated..

al.b
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

There are two possibilities. It would be either 1905 or 1908. Both those dates come into a cycle using Greek letters, two of which could be read as an "X".

Paul.
al.b

Post by al.b »

Thanks for your help.. much appreciated

al.b
al.b

Post by al.b »

Sorry just noticed that the diagram which Pat has put up which is exactly as on the items , he says its 1852-1897..bit confused as you say 1905 or 1908...

still really interesting finding out never done anything like this before..

Could find myself hooked..
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Pat was quite right, as usual, the main string of marks is attributed to the dates 1852- 1897, but these were not strict time frames. Stock in hand and work in progress often results in anomalies such as this. It often happens that sets of flatware and cutlery have different date letters. This is particularly noticeable in sets of sterling silver, where the hallmark is easily decipherable, but it also happens in silver plated sets.

Glad to hear you are hooked!

Paul.
al.b

Post by al.b »

Thanks for your help much appreciated , as I said found this really interesting..

The next question is where do I go from here regarding learning more about silver.. Is there a good book to start me off as I have no knowledge at all. Have been to the library and found a couple of books, but they are more general antiques...

Think I have definitely got hooked and just love the quality and craftsmanship in some of the silver items I have looked at, but just feel that not understanding whats good and whats not wouldn't know where to start..

sorry to be pain

al.b
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi, One of the first books I would purchase would be Jackson's Silver and Gold Marks (full version) edited by Ian Pickford, it will prove to be a good investment I'm sure, if you have an interest in British silver.
regards Trev.
al.b

Post by al.b »

Thanks for that will look to be my first purchase

Return to “Silver Plate Trademarks - Single Image”