Please help to identify maker's marks and date

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
tyvm30

Post by tyvm30 »

here is 1st one from a silver watch case, i think its Chester, 1825, but can't find maker's mark, i guess its "B.S.C" ? can't find anything about.

(admin edit - one item per topic - please start a new topic with your other item - see Posting Requirements )

Many thanks for your help.
MCB

Re: Please help to identify maker's marks and date

Post by MCB »

Benjamin Stuart Chinn,watch case maker of 37 Hill Street, Coventry, entered the mark at the Chester Assay Office around 1889.
The date letter is for 1890.

Mike
tyvm30

Post by tyvm30 »

hi mike

thanks for the quick reply.

many thanks for maker's mark, i tried many websites but no results, would you mind me to ask where do you get these information?

for date letter, please see image below, i thought it might be 1890 but just not sure, the capital G is so similar, how can you identify is 1890 not 1825?

thanks a lot.
user701
contributor

Post by user701 »

There is no duty mark present on the hallmarks you provided on the watch case.

Also, the maker entered his mark at Chester assay office, as MCB said in his reply, around 1889, so it a G for 1890
tyvm30

Post by tyvm30 »

user701 wrote:There is no duty mark present on the hallmarks you provided on the watch case.

Also, the maker entered his mark at Chester assay office, as MCB said in his reply, around 1889, so it a G for 1890
thanks for that, so does it means:
1.duty mark appears on ALL silver products from 1784 - 1890?
(is there any exemption for small silver wares? or it must be taxed when it was assayed? )

2. at the situation without duty mark, which means after 1890, but the date letter doesn't match any of the reference, like this one:

how can you identify?

many thanks
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Just to note that the Duty mark does not appear on watchcases after 1798. This was effected by 38 Geo. III. c.24, "An Act to repeal the duties on Gold and Silver Plate used in Watch-cases"

Trev.
MCB

Post by MCB »

The information regarding the maker's mark came from The Compendium of Chester Gold & Silver Marks 1570 to 1962 by Ridgway and Priestley.
This publication was compiled from the Chester Assay Office Registers and provides the most comprehensive record of activity in that office.
The book shows no other BSC mark entered there other than by the watch case manufacturer B S Chinn. As mentioned previously that mark was registered around 1889.
As has also been mentioned the Duty on silver watch cases was abolished on 7th May 1798, all Duty on silver being finally abolished on 1st May 1890. The absence of a Duty mark was not relevant in my suggesting the date letter was the one for 1890. The date of registration of the maker's mark which cannot be present before around 1889, the shape of the Town Mark and the absence of a leopard's head mark which would have been applied in 1825 were however taken into account.

Mike
tyvm30

Post by tyvm30 »

hi trev and mike

understood, many thanks for your help.

i just start collecting silver wares, especially silver watches, i have a lot to learn.

i also have another post for the imported silver watch case:
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 27&t=33570

i found that it's hard to find relevant information or references online, please kindly give help as well.

cheers.

Return to “Silver Jewelry - Single Image”