22K Birmingham Plain Heavy Wedding Band

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
silverly

22K Birmingham Plain Heavy Wedding Band

Post by silverly »

I guess I'll join the gold ring bandwagon. Here's the mark for a wedding band that I bought in Britain about forty years ago. It's fairly plain but has a nice weight to it, fifteen grams. Just curios about the "M&M" maker. Many thanks in advance.

MCB

Re: 22K Birmingham Plain Heavy Wedding Band

Post by MCB »

Hello Silverly

A possibility might be James Woodward and Wilfred B Mole trading as Manton & Mole from Warstone Street Birmingham in the late 19th century. Although not having seen their Birmingham mark they registered a mark at the Chester Office in 1898 which is very similar to the one on the ring. They were registered as goldsmiths and the business had previously been recorded as gold chain making which isn't a million miles from making wedding rings.
If no better offer comes in however the Birmingham Assay office should be able to positively identify the marks.The web-site address is http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards
Mike
silverly

Re: 22K Birmingham Plain Heavy Wedding Band

Post by silverly »

Mike, thank you very much. Your idea for Manton & Mole is sound enough and maybe someday if necessary I will check with the Birmingham Assay Office. Their site is phenomenal. What a great tip.

Return to “Gold - Single Image”