help to id gold marks on watch case PLEASE!

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
jonsvjon1

help to id gold marks on watch case PLEASE!

Post by jonsvjon1 »

Please can anybody id the marks on the item. its from the rear caseback of a watch dating between 1905 and 1920. i understand the top 14k marks however im at a loss with regard to the cup, JS OR SJ, and the head with the 3 at bottom.

ANY HELP OR POINTERS YOU HAVE WILL BE APPRECIATED THANK YOU VERY MUCH
JON
dognose
Site Admin

Re: help to id gold marks on watch case PLEASE!

Post by dognose »

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the Forum.

I think it likely the only official hallmark we have is the soldier's head mark that indicates 14ct gold and was in use at Poland between 1931 and 1963. An earlier mark that fits into your known time scale, is similar, but distinctly different. Perhaps this points to a replacement watch case at some point or that official hallmarking took place later, maybe when the item was imported into Poland.

The letter contained within the helmet appears to be a 'W', if so, then the case was assayed at the Warsaw Assay Office.

As the other two marks are similar in style and size, I would think that JS was the maker and cup their trade mark.

Trev.
jonsvjon1

Post by jonsvjon1 »

Hi there

Thank you very much!

i have just looked at the polish mark that you mention and its 100% that!

the date is odd tho, I Know for sure that the watch was made in 1905 by longines and was invoiced to the turkish market in 1919(from longines direct records).

the idea that the case is a replacement could well be true as there is no longines detail on the case at all. however longines did id the watch as been fitted in a 14k case at manufacture point hopefully it is this one! and the item was assayed upon import to poland as you said. i do feel that the other marks do appear earlier than the poland mark however i could be wrong.
jonsvjon1

Post by jonsvjon1 »

SORRY LAST PART WAS MEANT TO READ. and IF the item was assayed upon import to poland as you said. i do feel that the other marks do appear earlier than the poland mark however i could be wrong.

Return to “Gold - Single Image”