Russian jeweled cross - St Petersburg HB

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
AG2012
contributor

Russian jeweled cross - St Petersburg HB

Post by AG2012 »

Russian jeweled cross, 56 zolotniks rose gold, hand engraved, neatly riveted prong setting for diamonds and emerald.
St Petersburg assayer AP (either A. Richter or A. Romanoff)
Maker HB.

N.B. Had it not been for this well done riveting I would have suspected newly added jewels to increase the value of rather common Russian crosses of this kind. It’s much easier to fix prong setting with a screw or just solder it because diamonds would tolerate the heat needed, although there is always a risk particularly when pickling. (The same issue with applications on cigarette cases, as already mentioned in this forum; if not riveted they are simply applied with moderate heat needed for soft solder.)
Thanks for helping to identify the maker.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Russian jeweled cross - St Petersburg HB

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi,
Don't thank me yet but I give you my best shot. Before that, please correct your Postnikova (you seem to have it) #3882. Anton Richter was never in St Petersburg but in Astrakhan 1898-1899. This is one of Posnikova's mistakes. The AP assayer in St Petersburg at that time is Aleksandr Vasilievitch Romanov only assaying 1904-1912.
And now my "best shot/guess": AP's working period dates your cross rather well. It has been manufactured between 1904-08. The master HB is more difficult. For the moment I have two alternatives:

1 Nikolai Maksimovich Vazhnevsky from ~1900->
2 Nikolai Vladimirov 1898-1917

...actually there are three:
3 none of the two above...sorry
AG2012
contributor

Re: Russian jeweled cross - St Petersburg HB

Post by AG2012 »

Thank you so much, Qrt.S. Will correct A.Richter.
Regards

Return to “Gold - Single Image”