Snake Ring Makers Mark

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Brittany

Snake Ring Makers Mark

Post by Brittany »

Hello :)

I have this ring that was given to me. But I cant find the makers mark anywhere. I hope you can see it, as photography is not my strong point :/

Also the date letter...the thick 'R' looks exactly like the 1813 date letter for Chester....but everyone I have spoken to said the ring is probably early 1900s. So i am pretty confused, as the 1900 R is similar but alot thinner.

Its a rose gold snake ring with garnet head and diamond eyes.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Brittany
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Snake Ring Makers Mark

Post by silvermakersmarks »

JH is Joseph Hayward of Frederick Street, Birmingham, this version of his mark first registered by the Chester Assay Office on 6 April 1901. He was described in the registration as a ring manufacturer. The hallmark date letter is the R of the assay year 1900/01. You should not get too hung up over the finer details of the letter as 116 years of usage will have caused some distortion and wear.

Phil
Brittany

Re: Snake Ring Makers Mark

Post by Brittany »

silvermakersmarks wrote:JH is Joseph Hayward of Frederick Street, Birmingham, this version of his mark first registered by the Chester Assay Office on 6 April 1901. He was described in the registration as a ring manufacturer. The hallmark date letter is the R of the assay year 1900/01. You should not get too hung up over the finer details of the letter as 116 years of usage will have caused some distortion and wear.

Phil
Thank you so much Phil...that is extremely helpful.

How do you find this stuff out?....is it just through experience?...or do you have some secret files? :)

Return to “Gold - Single Image”